Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 25-07-2010, 03:04   #1
pablo0874
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: nissan terrano se 2,7tdi
Default not sure where to post this sorry

hello to everyone and many :thanks for all the advice from everyone first of all i am going to sign up just stumped at the minute ,
the terrano is a 2.7tdi p reg se it has a hitachi maf 2262800 2j200 afh 7014 ive found it very hard to locate one of these and just keep getting told that the one for my year is the one i keep seeing on the internet for about 40 quid but its not the same maf ,does anyone know if it will work ?
the diagnostic shown a maf problem and a throttle pedal sensor i will clean the maf as you suggested but its as if when this happens as it is not continual the problem comes and then goes ,but when it happens it is as if the accelerator pedal gets pulled down as if sticxking i know its not cabled to the engine its one of these elctronic ones just wondering if theres a chance the mechanics of the pedal may be sticking and causing the problem with the sensor,
the best way i can explain is when you take youre foot off the pedal and the revs usually gradually drop sometimes the revs take a bit longer to drop as if youre foot was still there .
today ive been out in the terrano no light the light came on with the reduced revs and such i tapped the pedal sharply twice and off it went ,anyone else experienced this sort of thing?, and before i forget the nissaan dealers said you cannot get the sensor on the throttle on its own but ive seen similar on the internet from other cars like a small black thing located on the side of the drum type thing on top of the accelerator pedal held in by two crosshead screws.
im hoping to pulll acaravan next week to devon and dont want to do it limited many thanks in advance
pablo0874 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
pablo0874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 03:07   #2
pablo0874

ive been driving it around all day the mi light has only came on twice briefly and i got it off by tapping the accelerator sharp twice and it cures it ,the pedal still seems sticky though has anyone ever experienced this type of thing with the pedal and apologies if i have posted this in the wrong category
Old 25-07-2010, 17:16   #3
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

its a known fact on this site NOTHING is ever in the rwong place, um like some other sites...

not the MATFs are difenet.

lookk in the manual and at you pedal, as there IS a cable.. chech for dirt and dust ect.
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 17:30   #4
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

id certainly get a light under the foot well and check that pedal. lots of electrickery up there, so could do a good clean, might help!

as for the MAF, yes, there are a couple of different sorts. plugs and wiring are different, so they are NOT interchangable. im not sure which one you need, but there is a shop on the web that sells them, just tried to find it but i cant, will look again shortly. NOT cheap, if you need the one im thinking of....
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 22:46   #5
pablo0874

the mi light hasnt came on for two days now as if it never happened checked all the wiring and made sure there was no dirt cracks or wet etc all connected good pedal just feels a bit sort of sticky but maybe im just sensing something now that was there to begin with its like sometimes its decellaration is a little bit slow when you take youre foot off i know im being picky now considering theres no light on and im not stuck under 2000 revs and bouncing up and down the road but i am a worrier and im waiting for it to come back but thanks for the advice clivvy
Old 25-07-2010, 22:56   #6
pablo0874

what is the members map zippy? nissan want 450 quid for a hitachi maf which is the one on mine but there doesnt seem to be any anywhere on the cheap sites very rare i found one but it was in usa ,im pulling a caravan down to devon next week and hope the mi light stays off but saying that when light came on yesterday i tapped the accelerator and off it went done that three times now so no coincidence put some redex diesel treatment in as well to make sure everything clean there ,My caravan is probably antique now i think its early eighties but good as new heavy though old solid chassis if you know your caravans you may have heard of it a CI fairholme merlin top of the range in its day 4 berth
Old 26-07-2010, 05:56   #7
zippy656

members map is a map with members on. you need to be a paid up members, and PM me your location.
Old 26-07-2010, 11:52   #8
lacroupade

Pablo, the Hitachi MAF is 6-8 times the price of the Bosch one but for good reason, it is ultra-reliable compared to the latter.

Your intermittent running problem doesn't sound like MAF unless theres a connectivity problem somewhere - usually the wires just gets shit up and sends the ECU the wrong resistance so it gets under or overfuelled....hence runs rough.

Try disconnecting the MAF plug and if it immediately runs worse then it is't that....and unless its failed completed (unlikely) disconnection will still change the readings sent to the ECU, even though they might be initially wrong, so some kind of change should be detectable I believe...

A good clean is the best advice.....Rick (Solarmans) method is best, especially since its what I've always advocated....if you can get it, pure alcohol is best but petrol or some other volatile solvent wll suffice, just don't touch the wire elements.
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 15:37   #9
pablo0874

i think youre quite right there lacroupade ,i disconect the maf while idling and the thing idles worse i try driving with the maf disconected no light shows but it drives terrible no power at in the revs ,
what i have found is that when the light comes on the mi light i dip the cllutch while travelling tap the accelerator pedal sharp with my foot of course and the light instantly disapeares which leads me to believe its the throttle sensor , would you confer on that one or am i in the dark still , only for the reason thnat when it was diagnosed it through two faults up the maf open or short circuit and the throttle sensor but the mechanic who done this said i would lean toward the maf as it was a commmon problem but that sounds like the pedal to me anyone back me up im desperate cheers guys
Old 28-07-2010, 16:07   #10
wildbri

Vehicle: terrano 1997 tdi
Smile

Hi I have a 1997 terrano which has the Hitachi MAF, I clean it every six months by putting spirit on a cotton wool bud and cleaning the two elements gently, this works, I do have a spare Maf I saw it on ebay from a breaker and bought it for £25 knowing that they are expensive new. Your problem seems to me to be the micro switch which is operated when the throttle pedal is released. If you look up at the fly by wire mechanism you can see it. The answer is to spray the assembly with wd 40 or some such spray, this system does get "sticky"
from time to time and the spray is a cure. Regards bri.......
wildbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 00:49   #11
pablo0874

hello bri the switch what youre talking about ive seen it like a smalll black box and when the pedal contacts it it cuts the power or something like that yes i will spray that with some spray and see what the results are i was tempted to do that when i first seen it but was worried with everything else goin on i mioght make things worse ,will do that though and post back here ,also im not sure i mentioned if i rev and then let the revs drop foot off the pedal altogether the revs decrease normally but sometimes as they are dropping past 1000 they seem to hold for just a second then continue to drop to the normal idle would ypu say that was normal ,is it possible to use wd40 on the maf as well ? cheers for the good advice though , paul
Old 29-07-2010, 17:29   #12
extreme-4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo0874 View Post
hello bri the switch what youre talking about ive seen it like a smalll black box and when the pedal contacts it it cuts the power or something like that yes i will spray that with some spray and see what the results are i was tempted to do that when i first seen it but was worried with everything else goin on i mioght make things worse ,will do that though and post back here ,also im not sure i mentioned if i rev and then let the revs drop foot off the pedal altogether the revs decrease normally but sometimes as they are dropping past 1000 they seem to hold for just a second then continue to drop to the normal idle would ypu say that was normal ,is it possible to use wd40 on the maf as well ? cheers for the good advice though , paul
dont use anything oily on the maf
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 20:38   #13
wildbri

Vehicle: terrano 1997 tdi

HI, no oil on the MAF video/ tape head cleaner or isopropyl alcohol is what I use. When you take your foot off the pedal the micro switch is operated unless the equipment is sticking, the WD 40 stops this. Regards bri
wildbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 00:08   #14
pablo0874

cheers for that can you still buy video head cleaner i havent seen any video players for sale anywhere lol,will spray that micro switch though light has not come on for a few days now off down south at the weekend so will definetly spray that switch has anyone ever had the AA out and discovered that they dont carry the pinss necessary for the terrano pre 2000 so they wont get the codes up for you i had to the call aprivate mobile mech out .
ive heard you can get the codes by blinking them on the light is this a normal practice or something dodgy not recomended ?? cheers paul
Old 30-07-2010, 05:50   #15
zippy656

how to read the codes is in the down load section..