Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 25-08-2017, 18:36   #1
jonela
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2000 LWB SE+
Default moth balls ?

Hi Guys, back again after a long absence lol.
I have now had this Terrano (my second) for five years,and in that time I have had virtually trouble free motoring, apart from the starter motor going.
But now there are so many problems looming (Rust , drop links, handbrake cables, tyres,alarm and key codes,sunroof,and the list go's on) That I have decided because I am too tight to pay to have it repaired by a garage and I haven't got the time to do it myself, The car will soon be no longer a viable road going vehicle.
But I want to keep her for some time in the future when I do have the time.
So I am going to store her in my friends Barn. Bearing in mind it could be there for 2-5 years before I am fully retired and have time to do things.
what would you recommend I do to prevent any further deterioration while stored.
jonela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 00:38   #2
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

2 to 5 years storage, no way forget the idea, use it or lose it is the rule, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 10:44   #3
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs down As has been said just get rid standing ages worse that driving.

The trouble with a 2-5 year storage is that things that are OK now will also fail.

Oil seals will shrink as they dry out, shock absorbers will rust as will discs and the clutch if it is manual will stick. Valves that are open will end up with rusting seats from atmospheric moisture.

Obviously the tyres will flat spot and if you put her on blocks the tyres will deteriorate anyway. Water pump will seize or seals pack in. The radiator water will start to separate out silting at the bottom rusting at the top. Interior will rot or get bug infested. Mice love chewing up car interiors and wiring looms. Electrical connections will corrode, electical solenoids and sensors will fail etc ets. Paint will fade, rust pimples from condensation.

When I was in the car trade back in the 1970s we had new cars that were fully waxed but had stood in a field for 6-18 months due to the first miners strike (New Audis & Opels). The bird droppings would eat right through the wax and paintwork causing rust scabbing. Most had to have new discs & brake drums together with shock absorbers before we could retail them. Many failed the first MoT due to sills rotting out etc.

You read about Barn finds that get restored but they are the few not the majority. You can slow some of the deterioration down using things like a Vehicle Cocoon with a dehumidifier attached that needs electricity and is not cheap.

I would just let go perhaps buy another when you retire. With the drive to electric vehicles used diesels are going to get plentiful and cheap.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 12:14   #4
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

If your friends barn is on a bit of private land just start her up and take her for a spin every few months, only thing I'd be worried about is the fuel ie does it "go off" ?
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 12:25   #5
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
If your friends barn is on a bit of private land just start her up and take her for a spin every few months, only thing I'd be worried about is the fuel ie does it "go off" ?
If it's Petrol you get a sort of skin forms as it evaporates. When I used to lay up my Motorcycle for winter I ended up with pin prick leaks in the fuel tank and the carb would need stripping. After replacing the tank I used Wynns Dry Fuel.

Not sure if Diesel gets the Diesel Bug growing as well.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 12:28   #6
terranosaurusdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
If it's Petrol you get a sort of skin forms as it evaporates. When I used to lay up my Motorcycle for winter I ended up with pin prick leaks in the fuel tank and the carb would need stripping. After replacing the tank I used Wynns Dry Fuel.

Not sure if Diesel gets the Diesel Bug growing as well.
Ah yeh the carbs glaze if dried out enough don't they?
Diesel bug, he'll have to keep it away from those filthy boats
Old 26-08-2017, 15:12   #7
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

My Mav hasn't done a great deal this year, but I do start it every 6-8 weeks, but also run the windscreen washer pumps, and head light washer pump, as just before the MOT, the rear washer pump had seized up, lack of use...
Checked it out today, all fine.
Aiming to take her for a run this afternoon, if all goes well, first time I have driven a car for 10+ weeks. Wife will take over, if I can't cope...
Reason for not driving... I've just lost interest, and even as a passenger pain in my spine makes travelling unbearable.

Certainly oil seals can dry out, brake calipers can seize, I recon up to 3 months, all should be fine if stored away dry, and no road salt or mud holding moisture that can cause severe rust.

So, every three months, it could really do with a run, up to temperature, but if sorn off road, not something you can do.

So, just run the engine on fast tick over, for 30 + min.. move her as far as you can, and try not to come to rest on the same part of the tyre as before. chalk it lol, jack and rotate the tyre so it rests on another area.
Tyres will also loose pressure, the battery will need a float charge. I keep mine on charge when we are home, but if we go away for a week, I tend to disconnect it... just in case.

Dehumidifier crystals, from caravan places, are worth putting in place, but avoid spillage, some are quite caustic.

Many people keep cars for years, collectors, the odd Rustic, museums, so there must be a technique.

Brake pads and brake shoes and clutches can seize to the metal work, when we leave our trailer, I don't apply the handbrake, but the wheel clamp plus other devices stop it rolling away.

Certainly use it regularly is the way to go, and fix any leaks or faults as you find them.

Rustic

Edit...
just taken Mav out for a run... I felt great with it. The Mav was great.... what a great drive the Mav is... Smooth quiet gear changes, brilliant.
All my troubles drift away when I'm behind the wheel. So, could I be driving it next weekend?

Wait and see lol
Uncle Rustic.
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 22:03   #8
terranosaurusdoug

I really hope so, I would love to see the legend, I will keep my fingers crossed for you rustic

Also rustic, you been a mariner, ever had the diesel mite/bug?
Old 27-08-2017, 08:25   #9
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
I really hope so, I would love to see the legend, I will keep my fingers crossed for you rustic

Also rustic, you been a mariner, ever had the diesel mite/bug?
We are petrol outboard boaters, but I am aware of diesel bug, and the proprietary chemicals sold in chandleries are very effective.
The bug is like a gel and blocks filters and fuel lines. The bug lives in the layer between the fuel and the water.
I cannot recommend a particular brand, but most are effective.
With boats, the fuel tends to get stale, as most will fill the tank during the season, and go months without topping up and moisture bulilds up from condensation.

With stale petrol, we put in a fuel additive, to boost the octane, and can revive fuel 3-6 months old. After winter, I tend to blend new fuel to old in the ratio 2:1 and this works well too. Having diesel cars means that we can't launder the old petrol via the car, and there is only so much grass you can cut with a petrol lawn mower lol...

Uncle Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 17:27   #10
terranosaurusdoug

Fuel additive in old petrol, that's QI
Old 06-09-2017, 23:02   #11
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Ah sorry John, did see this thread, OK I met a guy some years ago with what must have been one of the best old car collections ever, they were housed in a large shed, every one with a full dust sheet over, must have been 50 or 60 motors, at least 6 E types and every one perfect, the building was fully air conditioned and dehumidified, so in answer to your question that is how to store your motor, chat more via PM, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote