Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 23-10-2016, 09:57   #1
chip
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: terrano II
Default thought i would reintroduce myself

Hi, my name is Kelley.
I am a middle aged man with a 53 plate terrano I have had for around six years now.

I originally bought it as we had had a couple of bad winters snow wise and only owning a van I was sick of being stuck.
I also did air rifle target shooting which took me to some rural destinations where 4 wheel drive was not essential but very handy never the less.

I have been a member for sometime but have not been here in an age hence the reintroduction.
My terrano has been sworn off the road in my garage around the corner from my mums house since July 2014 (has it really been that long) due to me giving up work and moving in with an elderly friend to care for him after falling and breaking his neck and there was not room nor need for his car my car and my van at his house. Then just when he had recovered from that he was diagnosed with cancer so again I became his primary carer.

My friend sadly passed away at the start of the month and since I have been at a total loss. so I decided to get terrano back on the road to help give me something to focus on.

on opening my garage door I was greeted with a sight reminiscent of a scene from raiders of the lost ark with the space between my car and the garage itself completely engulfed in spiders webs. The rear tyes were holding pressure but the fronts were flat to the ground so when I got home after removing the battery and putting it on charge I ordered a new battery powered air pump from amazon.

After three days on charge I went back with the battery and pump and after refitting the battery and a quick oil check I fired Terrence up. And without touching the throttle or so much as a splutter it started and ran perfectly the moment I turned the key as if it was only yesterday it was last used not over two years.

Then I turned my attention to the front tyres one of which went up straight away the other would not forcing me to swap it for the spare in not much more space than I could just squeeze myself between the off side and the garage wall.

So that is where I am at now, tomorrow morning I am taking it for an MOT and booking it in for a full service while I am there and if all goes well in the evening I will be buying a full set of bfg at ko2s.
I did have a crisis of confidence that did I really want to throw any money at at a 13 year old car that is worth relatively little in moneytary terms, but I remembered how much I love my old terrano and that coupled with its obvious will to live its a no brainer.

I just hope I have not spoken too soon and the MOT does not uncover something particularly nasty,
fingers crossed.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 10:11   #2
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

Welcome back.

Sorry to hear about your friend,

Good luck with the Terrano, fingers crossed
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 10:16   #3
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Hi, my name is Kelley.
I am a middle aged man with a 53 plate terrano I have had for around six years now.

I originally bought it as we had had a couple of bad winters snow wise and only owning a van I was sick of being stuck.
I also did air rifle target shooting which took me to some rural destinations where 4 wheel drive was not essential but very handy never the less.

I have been a member for sometime but have not been here in an age hence the reintroduction.
My terrano has been sworn off the road in my garage around the corner from my mums house since July 2014 (has it really been that long) due to me giving up work and moving in with an elderly friend to care for him after falling and breaking his neck and there was not room nor need for his car my car and my van at his house. Then just when he had recovered from that he was diagnosed with cancer so again I became his primary carer.

My friend sadly passed away at the start of the month and since I have been at a total loss. so I decided to get terrano back on the road to help give me something to focus on.

on opening my garage door I was greeted with a sight reminiscent of a scene from raiders of the lost ark with the space between my car and the garage itself completely engulfed in spiders webs. The rear tyes were holding pressure but the fronts were flat to the ground so when I got home after removing the battery and putting it on charge I ordered a new battery powered air pump from amazon.

After three days on charge I went back with the battery and pump and after refitting the battery and a quick oil check I fired Terrence up. And without touching the throttle or so much as a splutter it started and ran perfectly the moment I turned the key as if it was only yesterday it was last used not over two years.

Then I turned my attention to the front tyres one of which went up straight away the other would not forcing me to swap it for the spare in not much more space than I could just squeeze myself between the off side and the garage wall.

So that is where I am at now, tomorrow morning I am taking it for an MOT and booking it in for a full service while I am there and if all goes well in the evening I will be buying a full set of bfg at ko2s.
I did have a crisis of confidence that did I really want to throw any money at at a 13 year old car that is worth relatively little in moneytary terms, but I remembered how much I love my old terrano and that coupled with its obvious will to live its a no brainer.

I just hope I have not spoken too soon and the MOT does not uncover something particularly nasty,
fingers crossed.

Chip that's such a sad story but I found myself reading it with a very mixed bag of emotions. Firstly, massive respect to you for becoming a carer for your friend, the world needs more people like you, I'm sure you being there made him as comfortable as he could be towards the end.

I got very giddy when you opened the garage and glad it fired up and managed to get it out. Fingers crossed for the MOT, if there's anything you need in terms of parts or advice just shout up and I'm sure we'll get you sorted.

Stick around and keep us posted and good luck my friend

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 11:32   #4
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Welcome back "chip"

As I read your post I was touched by very personal nature of your disclosure and of your present circumstances. I would feel very proud to have helped a friend in the way you have done. Perhaps the re-birth of the Terrano is the beginning of your journey in the mourning process.

I wish you all the best with the MoT - don't forget to get the brake fluid changed when it is through the test.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 18:57   #5
chip

Thanks for the replies and the support.
I will let you know how I get on at the MOT.
Old 23-10-2016, 19:07   #6
jims-terrano

Can't say anymore than has been said already, take my hat off to you.

Best of luck with the test, it'll be great to hear how it goes.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 19:43   #7
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Hi and welcome back
There's no more I can add to the above posts apart from if anyone is deserving of a little luck and good fortune, it's you Chip.
Fingers crossed for the mot.
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 21:30   #8
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Yes mate take my hat off to you, well done, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 00:10   #9
Southampton Lad

Vehicle: 1998 Terrano II 2.7tdi

Yes, I hope you are doing okay now that you've shrugged off all those spiders' webs...

Anyone else seen that video on FB showing a Huntsman Spider making off with a mouse?
Southampton Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 12:23   #10
chip

Hi, again thanks for your kind words.
When i woke up Monday I could barely hobble about due to an old knee injury flaring up, so I did not make it to the MOT station till this morning.

It past, so it is now officially back on the road. New tyres ordered and booked in for a service on Thursday.

Old 29-10-2016, 12:54   #11
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

GReat news.
Time for more now then
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:03   #12
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

Good result eh mate, a first time pass after all that time, awesome
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:48   #13
jims-terrano

Great news indeed, another Terrano kept on the road has got to be good.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote