Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:17   #1
KrustyZeKlown
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Default Considering a late model Patrol or T2; advice wanted please :-)

Hi all,

Thanks for letting me join the site and post questions. I currently don't have a Nissan but would like to swap my 7 seat 2009 Outlander for something with more off-road potential. I regularly haul a lot of heavy boxes around so love the huge boot and the fact that I can get 45mpg is a big plus. It has been totally reliable which is an absolute must for me. It is also great in mud and snow but does lack ground clearance. After a test at a local pay and play, I have found that approach and departure angles are pretty bad on the Outlander and the lack of low range is also a problem on inclines since 1st gear is just not short enough. Rather than modify the vehicle, I'm looking at other options but slightly nervous as running costs on the Outlander have been so low.

We are currently a 1 car household with 3 kids plus a mother-in-law to carry around. I need 7 seats (OK 6 seats actually) and am currently considering a Terrrano2 with the 3.0 lump, a Patrol (2005 or later) or a Land Cruiser 120. I would like something that returns decent fuel economy at 60mph on the motorway.

I really like the X-Trail (up to 2014) but am worried about the lack of low-range so have started looking more at the T2 and Patrol.

One of the things I noticed when looking at under-bonnet pictures of 3.0 Patrols (I have yet to see one in person) is that two seemingly identical 2007 models appear to have a completely different top mounter intercooler arrangement in the engine bay. Does that make sense to anybody or could that be indicative of an engine swap?

The reason I might not buy a Terrano is that I want to take increasingly long semi-offroad holiday trips over time and I wonder if the Terrano is suitable as an overland vehicle? I know they are great for green-lanes but I thought the Patrol might be more robust and easier to find spares for on extended trips.

One of the reasons I might not buy the Patrol is a perceived lack of front and rear locking diffs vs the LandCruiser. I previously had a Hilux Surf which is part-time 4wd so essentially a fully lockable centre diff and got stuck a few times wishing I had front and/or rear lockers. Also, the wheel base on the Patrol looks so long, I wonder if the break-over angle becomes an issue?

Whatever I buy, I would ideally like to lift it enough to fit 31" or possibly 33" tyres so simplicity / cost of a lift that doesn't stress the transmission is a factor. I had 33's on my lifted Surf and appreciated the axle clearance it gave. I also like to do most simple maintenance myself so appreciate a vehicle that is easy to work on and doesn't have abnormally expensive consumables (fuel filters etc) or parts.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but if any kind soul would like to offer any pointers I would be very grateful. I have never owned a Nissan but would like to!

Many thanks,
Jon
KrustyZeKlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:13   #2
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

First off, welcome bud

I have a modified 2004 Trol so can certainly advise on those! Love my Trol, incredibly capable. Can run up to 32s on standard suspension, up to 34s on a 2"spring lift,very easy to do (just change springs ). I'm on 33s with a 2" lift.

Re the engines, they should look the same but there is a cover on the intercooler that can be removed so that might explain the difference.

Don't know who told you Trols don't have a difflock they came from the factory with one in the rear axle, same as the 120 cruiser.

I find you sometimes catch the chassis on a breakover but it's very strong and catching is much reduced since the lift.

Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:01   #3
jims-terrano

Welcome aboard and certainly the right forum for those vehicles. However if you need an mpg as good as 45 then you won't get it but I suspect you'll know that already. A few people on here with trols and seem to be becoming more popular too. I personally love them but not yet upgraded
I've owned a Terrano since 2002 and it's been a great car,think the 2.7 is the better engine but that said the 3.0 hasn't got a bad name and does give slightly better mpg.
I've carried alsorts inside and on my truck. Also towed loads of stuff without any problems too. Remove the third row of seats and fold the rear seats forward or flat but if you don't need them unbolt and remove which I've done before. Huge inside after those options but not such a flat floor. No idea how different in size to the patrol so others may answer that.

Best of luck
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:24   #4
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Patrol

I would go for a Patrol wish I had found one when we needed to replace our 4x4 as I hate the ride of the Jeep we have.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 16:54   #5
Fez_uk

Vehicle: Maverick 2.7 - Patrol 4.2

I think you will get more for your money buying a patrol rather than a land cruiser.
Fez_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 20:33   #6
The Patrolman

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol 4.2 PeTroll

Troll Power
More than capable and as mentioned more for your money than with a LandCruiser.

I'm sure Paultrol will extol the virtues of the 05 plate face lift model.

mines a Y60 Petrol and its not very economical to say the least

I would go auto every time off roading and towing. you get a lot of gear options 4H 2H 4Low overdrive power and gear hold.

oh and they're huge too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (80.3 KB, 76 views)
The Patrolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 22:47   #7
glanrichbex

Vehicle: Terrano R20/D4

I went back to a Terrano after having a Discovery for a few months. The Terrano doubles up very well as a family vehicle and one that you can put loads of stuff into and tow at the same time.
I prefer the 2.7 as it's pretty bomb proof although I haven’t has a s much experience with the 3.0L.

Difficult to find one these days where he back wheel arches aren’t rotting, even the 05 and 06 plates but you may be lucky.
glanrichbex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:02   #8
AlexD333

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 2.7 TDI

Sounds like you need a trol, the cabin space is superior to T2 also, saying that my T2 is a great offroad warrior.

I drive it on road everywhere too, plenty comply, mpg is only mid 20's though...

In my opinion the Terrano is easier to source spares for than the patrol (older model) also if your going for a newer patrol vs the t2 that's when the Terrano shines as it has a gear driven engine, no belt or chain to break. Many of us run veggie oil too, at 13 quid per 20 litres you can see the appeal

But the decision is up you.

Here's a few pics of my old girl.

AlexD333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:45   #9
Barrbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD333 View Post
In my opinion the Terrano is easier to source spares for than the patrol (older model) also if your going for a newer patrol vs the t2 that's when the Terrano shines as it has a gear driven engine, no belt or chain to break. Many of us run veggie oil too, at 13 quid per 20 litres you can see the appeal
Remember he's looking at Y61 Trols 2005 or newer (so not Y60s bud) and Terranos with 3.0 Trol engine not the 2.7

Also 3.0 isn't conventional chain drive, it's a hybrid. Only camshaft runs off the chain, everything else is gear driven so the chain shouldn't need touched. Won't run veggie though...
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17   #10
Paultrol

Vehicle: Patrol

Morning,
Go TROL
They're Awesome.
About 5 year's ago I was looking for a Cruiser Amazon then I came across the Trol. The Cruiser had adjustable suspension at a press of a button but once you been up and down a few times this would be left as high as possible. The Cruiser is permanent 4wd, to me that means more fuel and greater tyre wear. Plus the Cruiser is twice the price, so it's a no brainer!
I run my Trol on slicks and I don't get stuck.
Cheers Paul.
TROLLLL POWEERRRR.
Paultrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:54   #11
KrustyZeKlown

Default Thanks to everyone who replied

I'm really grateful for all the responses and guidance. Part of my enjoyment of owning (and definitely maintaining) a vehicle, is being part of an owner community so thank you for the very kind welcome.

I have started to narrow down my search by realising that I probably can't live without cruise control or rear parking sensors and that I still have a distrust of automatics.

If I go with the Patrol route, this is pushing me towards a 2007, 2008, 2009 model with either the SVE or Aventura trim.

If I go down the Terrano route, I am considering the 2.7 engine now, which I wasn't before) and am more focussed on condition and age.

So the hunt is on to find a low mileage example of both, have a good look underneath and a test drive.
KrustyZeKlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:19   #12
Madmark

Vehicle: highly modded Terrano 2

Id have either to be honest I have t2 2.7. But my dad has the 3 litre diesel in his elgrand and is supirior on power but mine alot simpler and easier to abuse lol id love a patrol in any year or model but the only thing that would go through my mind is how much road/emission tax you'd pay as mine is 2002 £285 a year but a guy on here had 2006 model and tax was stupidly high as non of theses were built with economy in mine hense high co2. And I hate giving government any more than I have to
Madmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:04   #13
Fez_uk

Vehicle: Maverick 2.7 - Patrol 4.2

I would make 100% sure the newer ones have a rear difflock too, as I don't know much about the changes on them but it wouldn't surprise me if some didn't.
Fez_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:45   #14
firebobby

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2005

Welcome, I have just returned from the states where petrol is $1.99 a GALLON!!!, that's about£1.30 ish... WTF!!!!!
So that's why they run around is some of the best sounding and looking trucks around. Any way, I have the 3.0 2005 SVE and love it, my one is a road queen, but I know I would get to more places off road than a standard LR and I know I wouldn't have to rely on a tow truck to get me home. The 3.0 is a good engine after 2002ish and is a better on fuel. My concern on 4x4's after 2006, is as has been stated, is the VED, which is around £400 a year, not pleasant!
Good luck with the hunt
firebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 13:31   #15
Barrbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_uk View Post
I would make 100% sure the newer ones have a rear difflock too, as I don't know much about the changes on them but it wouldn't surprise me if some didn't.
Good point Fez, I think all uk spec Trols had them but some of the Aussie spec ones seemed to come with an LSD instead so might be some imports kicking about without the locker - easy to check, there should be a switch on the centre console marked "DIFF LOCK"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyZeKlown View Post
I have started to narrow down my search by realising that I probably can't live without cruise control or rear parking sensors
You're going to be scuppered on the Trols then (and possibly the Terranos) as no Trols came with cruise control (unfortunately). Also I don't think any had parking sensors, my SVE definitely didn't (don't think the crunch of my Nato hitch hitting something counts as a parking sensor ...)