Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 12-07-2015, 14:17   #1
marcus
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Rover 75 2.5 V6 Tourer
Default So new haven't got one yet - in France

Hi guys, had to join the forum to look and see what issues there are with my potentially new/old purchase.

Just sold my Land Rover Series III 109" 2.6 6cyl this morning, not a happy chap but it had to go. It was intended to be a second car for me and the wife but due to a few technical problems that did not look like it was going to happen. Anyway just got to sell the Rover 75 to boost up the bank and I'll be purchasing a replacement of some description.

Did have my heart set on a Disco TD5 or Freelander (lots of Freelanders in France but not many Discos). I'm also considering something that is not a Land Rover. In fact I'm warming to the idea of a Patrol.

I could do with a 7 seater (we run an english language school so the capacity would help), need it to tow stuff to the dump, take the family out, chuck mucky dogs in, load up with DIY stuff for the never ending list of jobs to do on the property, be able to drive round the windy lanes in all weathers and occasionally go off road. So it needs to be not to smart but a proper relabel utility truck than even the wife can drive (unlike the 109" which she couldn't).

Any advice would be superb. There's a fair choice over here, I can get a 100K mile truck 1999 for a approx £4K which seems reasonable.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 14:19   #2
marcus

Sorry can't spell 'reliable'
Old 12-07-2015, 14:28   #3
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Quote:
not to smart but a proper relabel
Problem with the adverbs too. (unemployed English teacher here).
I can't help with the Patrol, but a Terrano essentially fits the bill and you should be able to have a large supply pool over in Spain. Seven seats, good for towing, nice and easy to drive too.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 14:35   #4
marcus

Oops missed that one. Probably explains why I'm not one of the teachers!

Funny you should mention the Terrano, was just browsing the french forum and noticed a link to one for sale. Can't help liking the Patrol though.
Old 12-07-2015, 15:25   #5
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

Welcome, where are you based in France.......there are a few T2's for sale around here, including a French LHD just down the road from me I think?

Hey, were we just not upbraided for cruelty to Alex, and here we are chiding this poor soul, after 3 posts, for poor grammar.....................
johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:46   #6
jims-terrano

Welcome aboard, don't think you would be disappointed with a Terrano or a Trol to be honest. Have a look at the third row of seats on both as they're a tad small but see what you think.
I've had my Terrano for years and love it to bits, it's carried alsorts in it on it and towed alsorts too. 2.7 has not timing belt or chain to worry about either, gear driven timing. Watch for rust, no car lasts forever.

Yeah one of the members across there in France advertised a few days ago.

Lots of support on here for fixes too, a few download guides too.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 16:05   #7
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

I run a 3.0 Trol, love her to bits and goes everywhere (especially after the mods I've put on her ).

Having laned beside plenty of Terrano's they are also a very capable truck!

Trol is a bit bigger and slightly more offroad biased with the front and rear live axles. Also, the third row of seats fold up to either side to give you back the boot floor whereas the Terrano ones don't (I think). On the plus side the Terrano ones just clip in and out for complete removal but it's a couple bolts each to fully remove the Trol seats (although not difficult - I've just removed mine after not using them for over a year).

Engine wise the Terrano 2.7 is mega reliable and gear timed. At the age of Trol your looking it it'll probably be the 2.8TD which is also reliable but has a timing belt that needs regular replacing. 1999 may just bring in the early 3.0 Trols but ideally avoid as a lot (although not all) of the early ZD30 engines had issues with overboosting and oil supply problems leading to melting cylinders and other fairly catastrophic engine problems. Design was improved and consensus is that your'e fine with anything 2003 on which is when they also offered the ZD30 in the Terranos.

Mine is a 3.0 and I like it. It's a hybrid gear/chain timed engine but the chain doesn't drive very much and shouldn't ever need replaced. With the 3.0 the key is to treat her right maintenance wise and never mod one characteristic without ensuring you don't need to adjust any others to compensate. Do that and she'll take whatever you can throw at her (I should know, mine gets some abuse! ).

Whatever you go for rust is proabably going to be the main factor to watch out for.
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 17:38   #8
marcus

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm best in the sunny South West near Cahors (dept 46 - Lot).
Old 12-07-2015, 21:02   #9
Sweety

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDI SE LWB

Welcome never hat a patrol so can't help there but I did buy a discovery 2 to replace my old Terrano & it was the biggest mistake i've ever made spent most weekends working on it & parts aren't no where near as cheap as the older LR's after 20 months I had enough & part ex'ed it in for a vauxhall astra coupe which was a stop gap motor until I found the Terrano I now have & tbh i'll never own another LR as I enjoy driving my motors not having to fix them none stop
Sweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 16:08   #10
marcus

Thanks for the info Barrbeast, I'll try and avoid the early 3litre then. And thank you Sweety, interesting to hear your views on converting.

johnb5117 if you know off any decent Trols in your neck off the woods I'd be interested. So far all of the ones, bar 1 in Toulouse, that I've spotted are up to the North East or on the Swiss border. I'd have to be pretty sure to go and visit as I'd probably do a one way rental and keep my fingers crossed (can always rehire the car I guess).

And now to be honest....when I first browsed this forum I wondered why you called them 'Trols'...took me a while doh!
Old 14-07-2015, 17:59   #11
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

Marcus,
No worries, I will keep my eyes peeled.
I don't see that manyTrols around here, mostly early Mavs and Terrys ( 1 & 2)
johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 20:07   #12
supergnome

Vehicle: T2, 2.7 TDI 2002 lwb

Hi Marcus, Don't worry about the grammatical errors. Just enjoy the wealth of knowledge and experience on Nissans. David.
supergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 21:31   #13
Daemo

Vehicle: Patrol y61, safari y60.

Welcome, I am also relatively new to the site... I've had patrols for the last ten years with one year break for land rovers which just don't do it for me, a constant flurry of lights flashing on the dash water dripping on your head etc etc I find the purchase price of a Land Rover is just the deposit... I love the nissans but they have there own issues and any 4k Nissan 4x4 will need maintenance so choose wisely... Enthusiast don't mind things going wrong and look at it positively as it's an opportunity to upgrade the broken stuff with new shiny stuff to others it's an inconvenience and nothing else. Good luck with the search..
Daemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 21:23   #14
CliveG

Vehicle: nissan patrol gr y60

Welcome from a Patrol owner down in the Gironde,great cars(had a 95 4.2 diesel,ex-wife still owns,brilliant car),have a 92 2.8TD GR Y60,love her to bits,have pulled many heavy objects,a little tatty but she's a good girl,prefer shape to the Y61s but that's personal taste.Have had all sorts in her,can get all my tools in her without a hitch,brilliant car
CliveG is offline   Reply With Quote