Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 26-01-2012, 20:32   #1
pablo0874
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: nissan terrano se 2,7tdi
Default rev counter???? what goes???

i know ive been here with this one before but the rev counter goes off and mil lights up so what does operate the rev counter which sensor does anyone know at all ,because i gotta get it sorted
pablo0874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 21:14   #2
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

when it goes off....do you actually lose revs?
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 21:24   #3
pablo0874

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
when it goes off....do you actually lose revs?
no the revs normal just no show on the clock ,evry few weeks it will cut out as slowing at traffic lights but starts again and runs fine till next time ,but revs still there ,rev counter goes off and mil light lights up ,rev counter comes on mil light goes out ?????
Old 26-01-2012, 21:30   #4
clivvy

odd, sounds like some intermittent electrical issue-maybe a dodgy wire, i hate problems like this!!!!! Almost like my issue, except i lose revs...!

id check the codes though. Despite the MIL going out, it is still stored. That will be your clue.
Old 26-01-2012, 21:38   #5
pablo0874

Quote:
odd, sounds like some intermittent electrical issue-maybe a dodgy wire, i hate problems like this!!!!! Almost like my issue, except i lose revs...!

id check the codes though. Despite the MIL going out, it is still stored. That will be your clue.
dont you think replacing the sensor would do the job?
Old 26-01-2012, 22:00   #6
clivvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo0874 View Post
dont you think replacing the sensor would do the job?
for me?? Dunno, I already replaced mine once. I have one more being delivered, but I believe my issue is something else electrical, as I have another odd idling issue.
Old 28-01-2012, 16:32   #7
pablo0874

Quote:
for me?? Dunno, I already replaced mine once. I have one more being delivered, but I believe my issue is something else electrical, as I have another odd idling issue.
wheres the best place to source such a component as i dont think they do them in milner and what sort of price is good do y ou know?
Old 28-01-2012, 17:07   #8
clivvy

the whole pedal, a breakers, otherwise its hundreds from Nissan. Try Ebay also, but there arent many, although lots of breakers are listed.
Old 28-01-2012, 19:06   #9
pablo0874

Quote:
the whole pedal, a breakers, otherwise its hundreds from Nissan. Try Ebay also, but there arent many, although lots of breakers are listed.
i thought the rev counter sender was the ckp sensor in the block behingd the alternator belt?

the throttle sender is the one on the pedal if im not mistaken
Old 28-01-2012, 19:31   #10
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

Quote:
i thought the rev counter sender was the ckp sensor in the block behingd the alternator belt?

I thought that too.
Although the Td's are different.
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 20:09   #11
clivvy

Quote:

.....yes? the throttle position sensor is on the pedal, as is the accelerator position sensor. That wont affect the rev counter. it could be a dodgy connection to the dials? Have you read the codes? you need to read the codes. Otherwise how can you know what sensor to replace? Its not the CKP, thats crankshaft position sensor, and the TPS wont affect what the rev counter shows, only the actual revving of the engine, so what you need to work out is A - why is it cutting out (could be ckp when engine is warm) and b - why does the rev counter stop working.

sorry, just getting confused by this post.
Old 28-01-2012, 21:35   #12
pablo0874

Quote:
.....yes? the throttle position sensor is on the pedal, as is the accelerator position sensor. That wont affect the rev counter. it could be a dodgy connection to the dials? Have you read the codes? you need to read the codes. Otherwise how can you know what sensor to replace? Its not the CKP, thats crankshaft position sensor, and the TPS wont affect what the rev counter shows, only the actual revving of the engine, so what you need to work out is A - why is it cutting out (could be ckp when engine is warm) and b - why does the rev counter stop working.

sorry, just getting confused by this post.
ive done that reading codes but neve r can understand it , i just need to know what makes the rev counter work surely if i know that i can fix it
Old 28-01-2012, 21:50   #13
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

It could be the ecu
Codes will help though. Have you done them with a reader or the safety pin method? If you have the code number, we can translate
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 21:51   #14
clivvy

what code did you get? The rev counter is electronic, I believe the ecu sends the information to the rev counter based on position of pedal/voltage. It may be worth you checking the connection to the rev counter by removing the clocks. Cant really suggest anything else until we know what the code is you are getting.

If the code suggests faulty TPS, then try changing it, again, get one from a breaker, or from Nissan, but you may as well get the whole pedal as if you just replace the TPS, you will have to adjust it on the pedal and its tricky.
Old 29-01-2012, 01:22   #15
rayf3262

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2002

The tachometer is driven by an engine speed output from the ecu.

The engine speed output from the ecu is PRIMARILY derived from the crank position sensor (CKP).

If this fails the ecu/engine will continue to work, after a fashion based on the timing info from the No1 injector, but, the engine speed info will no longer be valid, hence,.. tacho indeterminacy.

As per Clive's suggestions, the symptoms you describe are consistent with a failing CKP sensor. This could be due to the sensor itself failing or bad connections/faulty connections in this area.

If it's been operating for a good while, the most likely synopsis is that the CKP sensor is operating on marginal levels,..

You could do what the dealers do, and just substitute the part to prove the problem or measure what is actually happening, which is not always easy.

The earlier comments on the effects of temperature on the CKP sensor should be given considered thought, they do (when aged) suffer more when heated.
rayf3262 is offline   Reply With Quote