Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 08-08-2014, 22:37   #31
R1cho
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 1997 LandCruiser Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD333 View Post
Ah mate I don't care, everyone is too panicky.

*awaits second lecture*
R1cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 22:38   #32
AlexD333

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 2.7 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1cho View Post
AlexD333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:25   #33
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Cool I am confident that is still valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD333 View Post
I really don't think this is the case..

Certainly not what I've known from honda n jag.. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Everyone is far too worried about all this.. I'll get it sorted
They say the same thing at the Mercedes Benz dealer where I work so I had a long conversation with the most experienced tester and he agreed with me that the old one is still valid but was told by the VOSA inspectors to toe policy line that it becomes invalid.

From a legal position if the existing Mot was not originally obtained by fraud its valid from issue date to expiry date that is the basis of the test.

You would have to go through a legal process to revoke and recover the current MoT in orded to invalidate it as with Insurance Certificates and Car Tax Discs.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18   #34
firebobby

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2005

I spoke to my MOT guy, also a mate and he say's.... if you test a vehicle prior to the current MOT expiry date and it fails on items, the old/current MOT is superseded by the one it just failed on.
Same as if it passed the new MOT, it would start from now.
The MOT's are linked to the VOSA database and are in real time
firebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:51   #35
macabethiel

Cool MOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebobby View Post
I spoke to my MOT guy, also a mate and he say's.... if you test a vehicle prior to the current MOT expiry date and it fails on items, the old/current MOT is superseded by the one it just failed on.
Same as if it passed the new MOT, it would start from now.
The MOT's are linked to the VOSA database and are in real time
I guess its academic as the real issue is whether the vehicle is roadworthy let me put a conundrum to you.

You have a current MoT that has 3 weeks and 6 days left on it and you go for a re-test and it fails on a tyre.

You go to your local tyre depot and have a new tyre fitted. On your premis the vehicle has no MoT due to the failure certificate but clearly tyhere is no reason for the old MoT not to be valid.
Below is extracted from VOSA advice.

"An MOT certificate is valid until the date of expiry. A new test will not invalidate the current MOT certificate. However, the "Fail" test result will show on the DVLA data base along with the "Pass" test result (ie any search on the DVLA data base will show both a pass and a fail result)."
Once you have a valid MoT certificate it remains valid until expiry, it can in fact be revoked by VOSA but only by them. Any subsequent test failure does no invalidate it.

"The police can access the data base and if while following your car an officer checks the MOT status, he would see a "Fail" and would be likely to pull you over to see if the repairs have been done or if the car is not roadworthy. You might then be prosecuted"
The first MOT test certificate IS still valid so you can still legally use the car on the road, insure it, tax it etc.
Old 09-08-2014, 15:21   #36
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

I have to say Alex, I wouldn't be so relaxed about this post if I were you. You have asked for a dodgy MOT'r, no matter what you do now, you have just put yourself and your chosen MOT'r at risk. I wouldn't say anyone is being panicky either, nobody is panicking mate, but it is you that should be panicking. Those bumpers are a fail IMO, and IF they did pass, one day you will get pulled and taken to task on them, that I am sure, they are FAR from the original design, they protrude too far and as said - they no longer off a "crumple" zone in the event of an accident - any pedestrian being hit by them will be seriously injured, more so than if you had your original bumpers on. They are more bull-bars than bumper, which is how the police will see it, and bull bars are illegal in your case.

I reckon for your own protection, this post should be locked and/or removed and you should really seriously consider a proper MOT from a proper council run MOT station - if they say everything is ok, then fair enough, if they don't, then you need to make the appropriate corrective changes.

good luck
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 15:40   #37
macabethiel

Exclamation And lastly from me on this threaad.

I agree with Clivvy.

It says on the MoT certificate itself what the limitations of the test are.

No use harbouring misplaced thoughts of immunity if you obtain an MoT if the vehicle is in some way defective or dangerous to other road users.
Old 09-08-2014, 17:43   #38
dave123

Vehicle: terrano 2 /2.7se tdi

in my opinion anyone asking for a doggie mot should have the car or vehicle crushed and banned for a year . who in their right mind would drive a car knowing that it could kill someone and as said you must be stupid even asking for a doggie mot. watch out for they will get you and if you haven't told your insurance about any mods you do and if I was you I would send a picture to them . just so they have a idea whats been done then when they do catch you they will nick you for driving without insurance . because your insurers will class your insurance voild . I know this because they done this to my mate . now he ha no car and is banned for a year plus a massive fine
dave123 is offline   Reply With Quote