Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:18   #31
austingypsy
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: terrano

Going to work last thursday I had 2 miles of packed snow to get through T2 behaved great in 4wd H - got onto the main road which was salted, so clear tarmac. realised after 10 miles that I had forgotten to engage 2wd!! What damage would have been done?
austingypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 17:23   #32
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by austingypsy View Post
Going to work last thursday I had 2 miles of packed snow to get through T2 behaved great in 4wd H - got onto the main road which was salted, so clear tarmac. realised after 10 miles that I had forgotten to engage 2wd!! What damage would have been done?
Put it this way...snap rings are NOT part of the drive train and I have never seen anyone on this site report an exploded front diff.......so work it out for yourself.

You only really feel transmission windup when executing tight turns and even then, just like on the straight, its the tyres that absorb most of the excess energy.

So I wouldn't worry - even in the dry a bit of extra tyre wear is the most likely problem.
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:00   #33
4wheel

Vehicle: Terrano 11 2.7Tdi SWB
Default Made it!

Well we made the journey there and back without incident.Our minor road was a bit of a nightmare as no grit whatsoever.Problem is the snow has been compacted on the road and has frozen into slippo deluxe overnight.There is hardly any traffic so the surface is still intact.The gritted roads have a high middle hump and banks of snow on the sides so if you loose concentration there is a good chance of either ending up in a ditch or on the roof.

I will never complain about UK roads again after this lot.This is truly butt clenching stuff.Anyway we bought enough provisions to last a month as the news is that there will be no rain just sub zero temperatures with everything remaining frozen.Oh happy days.
4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote