Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 23-06-2010, 19:29   #1
joanne123

Default Hi to all, Help advice wanted!

Hi
I am new here, but not to terranos!
I joined as i am having problems with my 1999 automatic terrano 2. It has been in the garage for 2 weeks the problem is the rev counter is at o when i take my foot off the pedle, but it also cuts out on me. They fitted a new sensor in the crank, but no joy. re wired part of it, thought the govener was sticking when i was breaking, still no joy! Now they are saying the alternator has gone and will be expensive and i shoild get rid I have had 10 years problem free motoring so i am willing to try a few things but feel like i am getting nowhere. Has anyone else had this problem!
Hope anyone can put my mind at rest.
Joanne
Old 23-06-2010, 19:32   #2
extreme-4x4
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

got a feeling timbo will know .
you tried the obvious . fuel lines , electrics earth etc, mini filter . what fault codes are you getting ?
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 19:33   #3
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne123 View Post
Hi
I am new here, but not to terranos!
I joined as i am having problems with my 1999 automatic terrano 2. It has been in the garage for 2 weeks the problem is the rev counter is at o when i take my foot off the pedle, but it also cuts out on me. They fitted a new sensor in the crank, but no joy. re wired part of it, thought the govener was sticking when i was breaking, still no joy! Now they are saying the alternator has gone and will be expensive and i shoild get rid I have had 10 years problem free motoring so i am willing to try a few things but feel like i am getting nowhere. Has anyone else had this problem!
Hope anyone can put my mind at rest.
Joanne
diesel or petrol ?
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 19:39   #4
joanne123

hi
Its a diesel. Not sure of the fault codes only that it keeps telling them its the crank sensor, which they have already changed at a nice price of £240! The garage i think are at a lose end too, they were even saying the mass air flow filter at one point, but have come away from that idea!
Old 23-06-2010, 21:16   #5
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne123 View Post
hi
Its a diesel. Not sure of the fault codes only that it keeps telling them its the crank sensor, which they have already changed at a nice price of £240! The garage i think are at a lose end too, they were even saying the mass air flow filter at one point, but have come away from that idea!
as extreme mentioned .... im assuming they have checked air filter fuel.filter and tried to clean the mass air flow meter and connections ?
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 21:37   #6
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

sounds like soemthing more complex. If the CKP was faulty, it would certainly stall, but as its an automatic, im not sure how. Have you had the immobiliser checked? Heres my point, few years ago, I had a Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000e Auto, with an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser. The immobiliser wire that ran from the battery to wherever, was faulty, so random movements triggered it on and off-cutting the engine often, or simply just turning the locks on and off, it was random. It all went away, when the wire was simply cut.

worth a shot.

MAF wont cause stalling I dont believe, but check the main earth wire from the engine to behind the battery, and check the main battery wire to the starter.

Have you read the codes? I'd get them read asap, there could (and should) be codes showing that may give a clue. If possible, check the No1 injector and connector, which sits next to the CKP sensor connector, give the connector a clean, but if the sensor is faulty, that will cause issues too. Keep in mind that you may have had multiple issues all at once, and thinsg like changing the CKP have only fixed part of the issue (again i had similar problems, but LOTS of contributing problems)
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 20:37   #7
jims-terrano

Hi Joanne, I think Clivvy is right about getting the codes read. As part of full membership there is a download section with loads of How To's and one of them is about reading the codes, with a paper clip of all things but it works. Earlier this year this method enabled me to track down the faulty CKP Crankshaft Sensor. Turns out that there are different types of sensor too.
If you touch the MAF be carefull as it is delicate, easy to clean with switch contact cleaner and again be carefull what you clean it with.

Are you getting the engine check light coming on at all? also when you rev it do you get any smoke and what colour smoke?

Jim
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote