Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 18-07-2024, 19:28   #16
solarman216
Off road maniac
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

And as promised pic of cam cover gasket with part number, there are only 2 types for the 2.8 this one has the bolt wings as part of the gasket mine the earlier one does not, plus mine is thinner, Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6846.jpg (64.0 KB, 8 views)
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2024, 10:21   #17
Flying Torquewrench

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Y61 2.8TD

Hi Rick, that mill looks fine. Are you going to recondition it or just use as is?

I will have a look at the gasket bear with me. Got a slight problem with the truck at the moment which might force my hand. Just came back from shopping with the missus and after changing gear from 4th to 3rd the gear stick is stuck solid. No amount of pressure I put on it will move the gear stick.

Fortunately, we were only about two miles from home and I drove it back in 3rd gear. The gearbox has been fully services 5 or 6 years ago and I have only done 5000 miles since.

Haven’t had time to look at it as we just got home. That is my plans for this day ruined.
Flying Torquewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2024, 17:41   #18
Flying Torquewrench

Taken the top of gearbox and all looks fine on first inspection. However, the gear selector will not move at all.

The truck is going into the garage in the next couple of days and I will pull the gearbox. Needed to be done anyway for the flywheel. I plan on taking the gearbox apart myself to see if it is a simple problem and otherwise the gearbox will go away to be overhauled.

Not something I had planned for as it was overhauled 5/6 years ago. However with £2500 worth of spare parts laying here waiting for installation I haven’t got much a choice.

If I didn’t have the spare parts here, I would probably have scrapped it. But hey ho, just my luck. Two cars break down in the space of a month. :
Old 23-07-2024, 17:43   #19
Flying Torquewrench

Rick, at first glance that cam cover gasket is not suitable for my car. I have got an old one somewhere in the garage and will compare in the next few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (10.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 23-07-2024, 22:40   #20
solarman216
Off road maniac

No problem, it is just sitting on my shelf, re the mill it is in first class order now I have done the head bearings, found the problem, on the top of the spindle is the draw bar and nut, under that is the threaded top part of the spindle with the top bearing adjusting nuts, now here is where the problem is, clearly there should be a threaded sleeve on those threads that should mate with the top oil/grease seal, but there is a gap through which debris found its way, so will be knocking one of those up soon, I have a bit of time as the making of a new lead screw nut has to be subbed out to a local engineering shop, as my little super7 cannot cut a 5 tpi thread, with an 8tpi screw on the lathe it just loads the gears far too much, re your Troll sounds like something has broke in there, time to take the top off I fear, on mine the clutch is on the way out so will be pulling the box out soon, Rick
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
Old 25-07-2024, 21:57   #21
Flying Torquewrench

Tried to reply to you earlier today but it seems that the forum was offline. I was keeping my fingers crossed that they didn’t pull the plug for good.

Not sure what clutch you are going for Rick but the LOF clutches get very good reviews from the offroaders.
https://lofclutches.com/store/4x4-cl...nissan-patrol/

Once I know the state of my gearbox I will order my clutch from LOF. i have no affiliation to them but have spoken to the owner a few months ago and he is extremely helpful.

I got the truck into the garage today and hopefully get the gearbox off over the next few days. Unfortunately, on the Y61 you can’t just slide the gearbox back. It only slides back an inch or so before it has to be turned otherwise it hits the bodywork. As i got no lift etc. I will raise the body so that i can just slide the gearbox back. To dangerous on my own to be rotating a gearbox 90 degrees while laying next to it on the ground. Nowhere to go if she were to fall. Lifting the body isn’t that much work.

Had a bit of good news and that is that our drainage plan for our new building has been approved. It has only taken since 2019 to get this far. Once the truck is back up and running I can finally start building.
Old 25-07-2024, 23:03   #22
solarman216
Off road maniac

I bought mine a while ago from Borg & Beck always been a good name, I have not looked at my box yet, hope mine does not need to be turned 90 deg, if it does then it will be engine out for me, let the crane do the work, just in case the forum does go down I will message you my phone number, Rick
Old 26-07-2024, 17:32   #23
Flying Torquewrench

I had high hopes that I would get more done today but as usual, the Patrol throws a few curve balls.

Getting the driveshafts off was proving slightly problematic as the gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear. So you can’t rotate the driveshaft to get to the upper bolts. They were also tightened by Hulk Hogan but in the end I succeeded. I also removed the broken exhaust as that needed to come off anyway.

Tomorrow I am hoping to get the body ready for lifting. I am working the first few days off next week and will leave the actual lifting of the body till I have a bit more time.

Drained the oil out of the gearbox and it had a lovely clean colour. Ran it through a filter but no metal parts were found in the oil. As the gearstick got stuck without making any unusual noises I am hoping that a pin/nut has come loose. As that would avoid an expensive overhaul by a gearbox place. We will see what next week brings.

I will take a photo tomorrow of the gearbox. You can clearly see that it fouls on the driver side footwell and therefore has to be rotated to clear. Not an ideal design if you ask me.
Old 26-07-2024, 22:02   #24
solarman216
Off road maniac

I must put mine on the lift tomorrow and see if it is the same, if so engine out, but also Maggies T2 is up for MOT early August so need to look at that as well, Rick
Old 28-07-2024, 00:46   #25
solarman216
Off road maniac

Had my Patrol on the lift today and I see no reason for it not to come straight out, I do not have any lump on the drivers side, it just needs the rear mounting lowering, which tilts the engine mountings back a bit and I recon it should slide out, mine is a Y60 2.8td Manual, is yours Auto Collin? also mine is LWB and I think yours is a shorty, Rick
Old 30-07-2024, 18:15   #26
Flying Torquewrench

Rick, you are lucky! Mine is a SWB manual 2.8td.

Not the best photo but this is what you hit on the Y61. The driver side foot well extend forward and there is not enough room to pull the gearbox back without rotating the gearbox. Happy to be corrected though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1734.jpg (56.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 30-07-2024, 18:18   #27
Flying Torquewrench

It has only been MOT’d in December and the bracket for the anti roll bar has completely corroded through. A month after the MOT I noticed that it had a hole on one side of the bracket. When I wanted to removed it today it had corroded through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1731.jpg (55.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 30-07-2024, 18:18   #28
Flying Torquewrench

I can’t upload the photo of the other side, still connected to the anti roll bar.

Removed all the body mounting bolts today. They all came out fine, apart from one. Of course this is one of two that drops down from inside the cabin. Had to remove the driver seat to get to it.

All in all the condition underneath is better then expected. Only the rear end needs a bit of welding to the mounting points for the anti roll bar. As I am changing springs and shocks anyway, I am thinking about removing the rear axle all together. It just gives me better access to the mounting points. Once the springs and shocks are removed it is only another 3 bolts and the axle is loose.

Hopefully getting the gearbox out later this week. Then I can see if I can repair it or if it needs a full overhaul again.
Old 31-07-2024, 00:28   #29
solarman216
Off road maniac

Once I have sorted the Mrs motor for MOT I will put mine on the lift and take the same pic, pretty sure I got loads clearance round the starter, Rick
Old 03-08-2024, 14:19   #30
Flying Torquewrench

I hit a slight snag. Everything between the body and chassis is disconnected but the body does not want to come off. If I put a pry bar near the mounts then there is movement.

I need the body to come up a little bit as I am also changing the body mounts. Several brake lines need renewing as the unions are corroded solidly. In the end I just cut them and replace them later.

My main priority is to get the gearbox out. Once that is out I can then make a decision if I repair the current gearbox or buy a second hand one. I have seen one on fleabay for about £800 including delivery. The downside with a used gearbox is that you don’t know what you buy. Ideally it should be overhauled before installation. Which then makes it economically unviable.

My own gearbox has only done 130k miles so should be in good condition.

I watched a couple of videos of the gearbox removal on a Patrol. The first one I watched they did not tilt the gearbox/engine, yet on the subsequent ones they did. The latter ones had no issue sliding the gearbox aft without hitting the footwell. So I will try that later in the week. Hoping to have this gearbox off by Thursday. However, it is the first time for me to take a gearbox off so I am taking my time.