Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 23-02-2017, 20:34   #1
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Question 3157A type 12 v capless 21/7 w bulbs

As I was so pleased with my LED front sidelights and number plate lamp bulbs thought for the sake of about £4.00 I would try a pair of LED rear stop and tail light bulbs. My reasons are that I often park on the road and need to leave my side lamps on so all LED side lights might be handy in not draining the battery as much. Ok they are not strictly road legal but the Traffic Cops are about extinct judging by the number of one eyed vehicles I see every day.

Bought these and fitted them yesterday. I have to say they are not as bright as the Tungsten ones I have replaced. Asked the seller a question and reply is below. (bulbs came in 2 days from UK)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1720631842...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for your kindly feedback, the situation you said is normal for LED bulbs, as they are all low consumption, it will be not brighter than normal bulbs at begin, but with using, it will be brighter and brighter.

We are sorry that for 3157 bulbs, this is the most brightest we have at present. But if you cannot accept this, please kindly send them back, and we will arrange full refund to you.

Ok so the grammer is poor but is there any truth in LED's getting brighter with use ?
I think it's twaddle but don't want to spend more on similar bulbs that are just as useless.

Didn't we have a member here that sold LED lamps ?
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 20:38   #2
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Some have fitted regular side light bulbs in the brake lights. Couldn't you fit a small led into the brake lights that are switched on when you need them?
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 20:40   #3
jims-terrano

Utter tosh, they don't get brighter.

My experience with LED bulbs is poor, most are multi chip or led and so far about half the bulbs I have bought ended up with some of the chips flickering. Even got stopped by a snowdrop and had to replace the bulb. Love the idea of led replacement bulbs but in my experience they fail far too quickly.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 20:41   #4
jims-terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky10 View Post
Some have fitted regular side light bulbs in the brake lights. Couldn't you fit a small led into the brake lights that are switched on when you need them?
I fitted led bulbs in the brake lights for use as sidelights but unfortunately the colour temperature is wrong for the lens and the light becomes pink.
Old 23-02-2017, 20:49   #5
macabethiel

Exclamation Thats the Pink hue now I know why they seem a bit odd !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
I fitted led bulbs in the brake lights for use as sidelights but unfortunately the colour temperature is wrong for the lens and the light becomes pink.
That's interesting my sidelamps are now more pink than red am going to put the Tungstens back in at the weekend.
Old ones were a tad blackened so will get some decent Osram replacements the ones from Halfrauds that I put in about 18 months ago do seem to have oxidised quite quickly.
Old 23-02-2017, 20:52   #6
macabethiel

Default Adding an extra bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky10 View Post
The light cluster design on the Jeep does not lend itself to adding a bulb without a lot of effort. Think I will just put the Tungsten bulbs back in.
Old 23-02-2017, 20:56   #7
macabethiel

Thumbs up Flashing LED problems

Quote:
Utter tosh, they don't get brighter.

My experience with LED bulbs is poor, most are multi chip or led and so far about half the bulbs I have bought ended up with some of the chips flickering. Even got stopped by a snowdrop and had to replace the bulb. Love the idea of led replacement bulbs but in my experience they fail far too quickly.
My front sidelights are just a single LED in a glass envelope and they are great. Good light output and no flashing problems to date. 4 months 4k miles

The first set of number plate lamps were designed to induce epilepsy so fitted a pair with fewer LED's again with a glass lens these are still okay after about 3 months and 3k mies.
Old 23-02-2017, 20:57   #8
jims-terrano

If you are wanting to have parking lights, I've seen people using led bicycle lights flashing away in the windscreen and back windows. Assuming they must be quite easy on battery life because they're left on all night long.
Old 23-02-2017, 21:03   #9
macabethiel

Quote:
If you are wanting to have parking lights, I've seen people using led bicycle lights flashing away in the windscreen and back windows. Assuming they must be quite easy on battery life because they're left on all night long.
I have a white non flashing LED lamp in my wardrobe and its brilliant still working after about 4 years and I regularly leave it on overnight by mistake. Takes 3 AAA batteries and sticks with a self adhesive pad. £0.99 each without batteries from local Tat Shop!