Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 10-08-2010, 23:41   #46
briggie
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: " alice "

my suggestion ( remember i know nothing lol ) is to follow the advice given for checking whether it is the head gasket or not .... also obviously check hoses are tight etc too... and check for leaks
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:54   #47
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

armed with everything in this post, again, I agree with Rick and Peter, time to check that head gasket and at the same time, drain the system.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:26   #48
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Exclamation water issue

Okay looking at the thread looks as though the water pump was replaced when issue was probably the head gasket. Not an uncommon mis-diagnosis done on a friend of mines motor.

I would go for the test that detects exhuast gases in your coolant to be 100 % sure then see if the seller will pay or contribute as it was a pre-existing fault not disclosed to you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-BLOC...item255beb5e2c
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58   #49
kbekl

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7 LWB GLX

thank you all for your help on this matter will get the gas test done

thank you very much briggie for the 2 files but with just changing the hg do i need to remove every component from the head (probbably if it needs a skim)

any idea on this tool KV119E0030 Nozzle holder socket

it looks quite simple just time consuming is it worth getting the head skimmed if it dont actually need it ? and i guess its just a matter of testing with a set square or similar

macabethiel thanks for the info will let the orginal owner know but doubt that i will get out for it
kbekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:17   #50
macabethiel

Exclamation head skim

If your headgasket blow is slight as it would seem then you could probably not bother with the skimming of the head. But !!

My late father (who was in the car trade all his life) always advised me to skim as it's not that much of an extra cost comparing to having to do it all again in 6 months time if not sooner.

You pay the money or take the chance. As I have got older (62) and wiser I have become more risk averse so if it's affordable I would have the skim !
Old 11-08-2010, 10:18   #51
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Okay looking at the thread looks as though the water pump was replaced when issue was probably the head gasket. Not an uncommon mis-diagnosis done on a friend of mines motor.

I would go for the test that detects exhuast gases in your coolant to be 100 % sure then see if the seller will pay or contribute as it was a pre-existing fault not disclosed to you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-BLOC...item255beb5e2c
that tester looks interesting, does that unit sit in top of rad looking at its conical
shape.
engineer i spoke to said diesels were harder to diagnose and would mean a sample
be tested, sounded though i may have misunderstood that it would go to a lab!

i'm still looking at rad now on my over heat issue, having done pump and stat, but
mine only gets really hot towing hard up hill or fast motorway work.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:41   #52
kbekl

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
If your headgasket blow is slight as it would seem then you could probably not bother with the skimming of the head. But !!

My late father (who was in the car trade all his life) always advised me to skim as it's not that much of an extra cost comparing to having to do it all again in 6 months time if not sooner.

You pay the money or take the chance. As I have got older (62) and wiser I have become more risk averse so if it's affordable I would have the skim !
i thought it might be advisable to do so so i would have to take all the valves etc out then
Old 11-08-2010, 15:35   #53
macabethiel

Default tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas-the-Terrano2 View Post
that tester looks interesting, does that unit sit in top of rad looking at its conical
shape.
engineer i spoke to said diesels were harder to diagnose and would mean a sample
be tested, sounded though i may have misunderstood that it would go to a lab!

i'm still looking at rad now on my over heat issue, having done pump and stat, but
mine only gets really hot towing hard up hill or fast motorway work.
We use a trade version at work (Mercedes main dealer) I'm pretty sure ours works on petrol & diesels but would have to check. Ours works on the colour change to the liquid there are quite a few on the market not actually used one myself though. Its a bit like a home aquarium pH kit if that means anything to you. The text on the kit in the link says you attach it to the radiator / tank top there are variations by different manufacturers of these things.
Old 11-08-2010, 18:29   #54
kbekl

right just got off the phone to the old owner and he might have a spare hg which he was given when he bought the car

the reason for the water pump change was that the heater wasnt putting out any heat so he took it to the garage who said it was most likly a water pump as the blades get damaged or broken

so this was replaced along with the thermostat after this tho their was still no heat in the cabin so it was back in again to be de air locked which was done by leaving the rad cap off and left ticking over till the water was flowing fully without any bubbles, so this would tell me that the hg wasnt gone at this point due to the lack of air passing into the coolant

i am confused by this now tbh, i have heat not a great deal but it is warm

on checking today their is definatly either smoke or mist comming out of the radiator when the cap is off but where this is from i have no idea

the water is foaming when the level is high not sure what this means and has also confused my farther-in law as to y it is foaming

the matrix is flow bothways they both get warm at a very similar rate when the heating is turned on in the car

Is their a pdf for the procedure of draining the coolant and refilling available ? if not where do i drain it from and will this remove all the water from the system ?

we have done the procedure of letting the engine tick over with the rad cap off and sqeasing the pipes but still have the bubbling problem
Old 13-08-2010, 19:22   #55
kbekl

well because i have had so much help from here over the last week or so thought i would pay my dues and become a full member