Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 21-02-2009, 21:44   #1
paulbarton

Default hi can anyone help???

hi i've bought a 94 maverick 2.7td last week which had been stood for 12months. i bought it because i had a 94 terrano before and it was great trouble free motoring and very useful. however-it appears that this one isnt so great, altho it shows 49000 miles, and has mots to back up mileage for past few years, i had to fit a turbo to it this week, that stopped the smoking, took it for an mot today, passed fine, and on the way back at 60mph, it started rattling intermittantly like a 'tappet' noise, but this got worse after within minutes and is now constant. it still starts fine and the oil pressure light goes out when started up, and i took the rocker cover off and nothing is obvious. any ideas?? is there any common faults that would cause this? im desperate to fix this if it is!! contact me at paulbarton1@live.com
cheers
Old 21-02-2009, 21:51   #2
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbarton View Post
hi i've bought a 94 maverick 2.7td last week which had been stood for 12months. i bought it because i had a 94 terrano before and it was great trouble free motoring and very useful. however-it appears that this one isnt so great, altho it shows 49000 miles, and has mots to back up mileage for past few years, i had to fit a turbo to it this week, that stopped the smoking, took it for an mot today, passed fine, and on the way back at 60mph, it started rattling intermittantly like a 'tappet' noise, but this got worse after within minutes and is now constant. it still starts fine and the oil pressure light goes out when started up, and i took the rocker cover off and nothing is obvious. any ideas?? is there any common faults that would cause this? im desperate to fix this if it is!! contact me at paulbarton1@live.com
cheers

Paul, sorry cant help with tappetty problem but welcome aboard, help will be along
shortly.

I would recommend that if you list your email address you do so by disguishing slightly
to avoid web'bots spamming you. example change '@' to '(at)'. which should fox 'em
but us mear humans can still interpret.

Richard
Mod Team

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 22:00   #3
paulbarton

hi, cheers for the advice bout email address. i hope somebody does know as im losing patients with this one!! i do 60miles a day commuting so i need it to be fixed and actually reliable! by the way it's a black lwb glx model with chrome bullbars and alluminium side steps which are coming off as i dont like them. so if anyone interested-give us a shout.
Old 21-02-2009, 22:01   #4
Deleted Member S
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

If it's a top end rattle in could poss be a broken push rod, I had this on a crossflow engine once
Deleted Member S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 22:02   #5
Toolbox

Vehicle: Oh yes

Engine rattles are fairly uncommon on the 2.7td but I have known cases where the combustion chambers in the head come lose and rattle although this normally disappears when hot after everything expands.
How regular is the rattle is it every engine revolution approx or every two revolutions aprox or irregular.
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 22:09   #6
paulbarton

hi, i took rocker cover off and all rockers seem fine, altho tappets did need adjusting up slightly as was gonna get round to it after mot sorted, the pushrods all seemed tight in place also, i'd say the noise was just at rear of engine, i dont think its a valve as not misfiring or anything, just noisey. i did think that the noise quietened down a bit when turning. do these engines suffer from oil pressure loss? or blocked oil ways?
Old 21-02-2009, 22:15   #7
paulbarton

hi, reply to toolbox, the engine is hot when its doin it, i did also notice the engine was very wobbly on tickover causing the gearlever to wobble like mad when in neutral shortly before this happened. i had it running on tickover nearly all day yesterday whilst i was cleaning it and it was smooth then. the vibrating goes when the revs are picked up very slightly tho.
Old 21-02-2009, 22:22   #8
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

ooh chrome Bull or A Bar..

do tell more or post apic.. thanks

zippy
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 22:22   #9
extreme-4x4

Quote:
hi, reply to toolbox, the engine is hot when its doin it, i did also notice the engine was very wobbly on tickover causing the gearlever to wobble like mad when in neutral shortly before this happened. i had it running on tickover nearly all day yesterday whilst i was cleaning it and it was smooth then. the vibrating goes when the revs are picked up very slightly tho.
well id say turn the tick over up a bit then. or check the mini filter is clear... im guessing you have changed all the others and new oil etc
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 22:31   #10
paulbarton

replying to zippy656, they are bullbars off an early square lamp model(94) which i doubt very much will fit a 99 model if thats wot u wanted to fit it to.
reply to extreme 4x4, i see wot you are saying about filters etc, and im very interested about how/where this mini filter is exactly on pump? but my main priority is the internal rattle at the moment.
cheers.
Old 21-02-2009, 22:39   #11
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

yep to fit my 1999, thanks for answering.

hope yo uget sorted, pay your £10 theres lots of bits you cant see...
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 22:40   #12
extreme-4x4

Quote:
replying to zippy656, they are bullbars off an early square lamp model(94) which i doubt very much will fit a 99 model if thats wot u wanted to fit it to.
reply to extreme 4x4, i see wot you are saying about filters etc, and im very interested about how/where this mini filter is exactly on pump? but my main priority is the internal rattle at the moment.
cheers.
well if it goes when you give it a little gas id be looking at giving it some more gas to tick over (mini filter)also id look at the engine fixings cos if its rattling about in there it could be that

or is it all the time through the revs ?
Old 21-02-2009, 22:50   #13
paulbarton

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-4x4 View Post
well if it goes when you give it a little gas id be looking at giving it some more gas to tick over (mini filter)also id look at the engine fixings cos if its rattling about in there it could be that

or is it all the time through the revs ?
hi yeah it just vibrates on tickover and a completely different noise through the revs which is concerning me. it gone from a ticking noise originally to a clacking noise that speeds up with engine speed which is why i thought it was a faulty rocker/pushrod. i dont want to jump in the deep end and start stripping bits off if it a quick fix.
Old 21-02-2009, 22:54   #14
extreme-4x4

Quote:
hi yeah it just vibrates on tickover and a completely different noise through the revs which is concerning me. it gone from a ticking noise originally to a clacking noise that speeds up with engine speed which is why i thought it was a faulty rocker/pushrod. i dont want to jump in the deep end and start stripping bits off if it a quick fix.
and you have had a good feel around while its running to see if anything is rattling on the outside of the engine ie heat sheild on the turbo . or exhaust rattling engine mounts ??
Old 21-02-2009, 23:03   #15
paulbarton

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme-4x4 View Post
and you have had a good feel around while its running to see if anything is rattling on the outside of the engine ie heat sheild on the turbo . or exhaust rattling engine mounts ??
yeah looked several times, definately internal. the sound was at rear of rocker cover i thought which is why i took it off to investigate. you dont think it would be a oil presure problem then? i mean the light comes on with ignition, and goes off when started, and also i took filler cap off whilst running and there seemed to be oil circulating around as it splashed my face.lol
thank you for being consistant with my enquiries by the way, much appreciated.