Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 08-01-2011, 00:19   #1
tezzer
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: transit camper van 1987
Default Fuel protests could bring the UK to a standstill

A new era of fuel protests gridlocking cities is on the cards with tax rises adding 3p per litre to the price of petrol.

Campaigners say haulage firms and private drivers will not take the increase lying down. They claim protests could bring the country to a standstill as they did a decade ago.

A cross-party group of MPs has also demanded fuel duty be cut, not put up.

Fuel duty has gone up by 0.76p a litre, and VAT has increased from 17.5% to 20%, adding to drivers' woes.

Together, they will mean about 3.5p per litre. Petrol is already at a record price, having reached 124.16p. That is up one seventh on this time last year.

Fuel duty to rise again in April

And it won't get any better for drivers. In April fuel duty will rise again and the long-term prospects for oil prices are not good – further tensions with Russia and possible war with Iran will mean petrol could become scarcer.

Ten years ago farmers and haulage firms joined forces to deliberately gridlock roads, causing food and fuel shortages that were even blamed for deaths in hospitals.

Now they have come together again to talk of restarting their action.

David Handley, who was involved in those protests, told The Daily Telegraph: "The cost of fuel which sparked the protests in 2000 pales in comparison to what it is now."

The Conservative MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale, David Morris, has signed an early day motion in the House of Commons which says: "Fuel price reductions will help the economy and give much needed respite to the hard-pressed haulage industry."

He added: "Something needs to be done to kick start the economy and cutting fuel duty would be one measure that would help."

'Fuel duty has to be reduced'

Kate Gibbs, director of communications for the Road Haulage Association, said: "We are seeing the price of fuel rocketing to unprecedented levels and there's a limit to how long these increases in duty can be borne by the road haulage industry.

"Fuel duty has to be reduced not increased, in order to go some way towards giving us a level playing field with the rest of Europe, who pay far lower costs."

The government has said that fuel duty is 10% lower in real terms than in 2000 and that hauliers can reclaim VAT paid on fuel.
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 00:21   #2
extreme-4x4

wont happen .... thatcher removed your right to protest. with the council tax riots.....

deal with it

lol
extreme-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 00:24   #3
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

wont happen , the government is concerned with raising money not cutting duty , you vote , a party or parties gets in ..... live with it
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 00:29   #4
briggie

fuel duty is a easy way for the government to raise money , we either pay it or do without our vehicles ... same goes for road tax , vat increase etc..... easy money for the government
Old 08-01-2011, 00:32   #5
harlowmaverick

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano 3.0 tdi 03

Time to stock pile that vegi oil then lol
harlowmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 00:37   #6
Deleted account DD

There were the big protests , was that 2000?? , then a couple of years ago some more. The originals had a massive impact but the next lot just fizzled out even though the rhetoric was the same.

I reckon we will have some protests (we've got sites up here they like to chain themseves to the gates of ) but im not sure how big a scale theyll be on
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 00:42   #7
tezzer

i found it on my other 4x4 site, reading through it seems there is a group that are getting together to cause chaos in major cities, as for, live with it, deal with it, thats why we get kicked in the slabs, i bet if there was a demo and duty was lowered i bet you would soon be filling your tanks with the cheaper fuel wouldn't you, or would you rather pay the higher rate. walob,
Old 08-01-2011, 00:45   #8
briggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzer View Post
i found it on my other 4x4 site, reading through it seems there is a group that are getting together to cause chaos in major cities, as for, live with it, deal with it, thats why we get kicked in the slabs, i bet if there was a demo and duty was lowered i bet you would soon be filling your tanks with the cheaper fuel wouldn't you, or would you rather pay the higher rate. walob,
what im saying tezzer is it wont happen , this government are more concerned with raising money than the effect on joe public
Old 08-01-2011, 00:47   #9
kbekl

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7 LWB GLX

heres an idea what shape would this country be in if we all cashed in our tax and stoped using cars

or just plonk a electric engine in their
kbekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 00:48   #10
extreme-4x4

the uk is too well geared up for protests and demonstrations
if they cant get to the organizers they will come up with some soft arsed propaganda to unsettle the country. or smash it quickly with some hired bother boys kicking off at a fuel depot . just so the police can go in heavy handed

the trouble is and im quite genuine here the coppers that will have to police it , and stand there with missiles flying not knowing is in them acid. bleach petrol or worse . they are regular people after work with the same fuel to buy and the same food bills and taxes to pay.
its them i feel sorry for ... while the fu ck wits in parliament screw us ... AND THEM

for every copper that takes a kicking for them bastards (thieving bastards it turns out ) that is the biggest crime.
Old 08-01-2011, 00:49   #11
briggie

or .... we all eat baked beans and then stick a pipe up our bums to run our engines on methane
Old 08-01-2011, 00:52   #12
R1cho

Vehicle: 1997 LandCruiser Colorado

well i'm gonna do what del boy did and buy my own oil rig

R1cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 00:59   #13
tezzer

i know the government need to raise money, and the motorist is mostly first in line, but if they want to raise money, start looking at the amount of benefits that go to these multi cultural families with god how many kids and some even send money to their extended family back home, all the multi million pound donations they to, i think £7 billion will be going to Ireland.

so why keep kicking the f**king motorists, even the insurance companies are taking the pi**, i feel sorry for the younger families, how are they going to manage, poxy country is going down hill fast.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01   #14
extreme-4x4

Quote:
i know the government need to raise money, and the motorist is mostly first in line, but if they want to raise money, start looking at the amount of benefits that go to these multi cultural families with god how many kids and some even send money to their extended family back home, all the multi million pound donations they to, i think £7 billion will be going to Ireland.

so why keep kicking the f**king motorists, even the insurance companies are taking the pi**, i feel sorry for the younger families, how are they going to manage, poxy country is going down hill fast.

too late mate it already did
Old 08-01-2011, 01:04   #15
R1cho

Vehicle: 1997 LandCruiser Colorado

Quote:
so why keep kicking the f**king motorists
because the motorist is an easy target
R1cho is offline   Reply With Quote