Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 29-12-2010, 16:44   #46
cm2581
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post
on the other hand, i'm finding it difficult to find any info pointing to the 1.8 tonne limit for an auto, if anyone has any please post a link!
http://www.parkers.co.uk/advice/Towi...True&model=606
cm2581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 16:52   #47
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

just been on parkers

a 2.7tdi auto lwb is 1910 kg unladen aka kerb weight +/- little bit.

does say 1700kg for tow, versus 2800 kg for manual.

2.4 petrol and 2.7tdi manuals also 2800 ,

3.0 diesel 3000kg auto 2000kg.

but if go from trailer page say want trailer over 2400kg or so
and its offering audi a3s ffs.

back to our trucks can only say auto box seen as weak point
at manufacturer. guess for many caravanners 1700 would be
a problem til now with some top spec twin axles exceeding that
but sure your box and precious load are more,

now it looks like your train weight has been reduced too as i
think my manual terrano was 5200 or so.

at 2.5 tonnes even saying well 700kg are in terrano is going
to get tight or exceed.

surely enough evidence for mis sell, good luck hope we can
keep you as a member with a stick t2 or patrol.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 16:54   #48
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm2581 View Post
I'm at work so can't really go out AGAIN(!!!) to get the rest but here is what I do have.

B VSKTVUR20U040991
C 2580
D 4280
E 1160
F 1460
J TVPURVAR20UEA--HHI

dvla HAVE TOLD ME THAT D-C=LEGAL TOWING CAPACITY.

Phoned my local Nissan sales (as did the dealer I bought the car from which are two diff dealers) and they both said they didn't know and didn't have any data for the automatic. They suggested customer services who both me and the dealer phoned and we were both told (after much lengthly dealy!) that there is no diff between the auto and manual and both are 2.8 tonnes! Why the hell is it plated as above then?!!?!?!?!!!!!

The tow limit on your vehicle to keep it safe, roadworthy and lawful is 1.7tonnes. End of. That plate tells the reader what weights to look for and is defiitive (barr very rare mitigation....see below) . Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it really is is that simple.

GCW apears to be nissan speak for gross train weight. GTW minus GVW is the most you can tow because thats the maximum overall weight you can take on the road as a combo. If you are subject to a check and you are towing 2.8 tonnes you will be prosecuted and probably prohibited because you are a significant 1.1 tonnes over.

The thoughts of the dealer are not relevant unless they can provide documentary evidence that type approval (or whatever the term nowadays is) has been reviewed and amended and your truck has slipped the net for a recall/revised plate. Nor is any other guide available in a magazine or on a web site unless they can back track to the dealer situation above.

You can tow and tug what the hell you want off the public roads but on them its definitely 1.7tonnes.
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 16:58   #49
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved View Post
The tow limit on your vehicle to keep it safe, roadworthy and lawful is 1.7tonnes. End of. That plate tells the reader what weights to look for and is defiitive (barr very rare mitigation....see below) . Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it really is is that simple.

GCW apears to be nissan speak for gross train weight. GTW minus GVW is the most you can tow because thats the maximum overall weight you can take on the road as a combo. If you are subject to a check and you are towing 2.8 tonnes you will be prosecuted and probably prohibited because you are a significant 1.1 tonnes over.

The thoughts of the dealer are not relevant unless they can provide documentary evidence that type approval (or whatever the term nowadays is) has been reviewed and amended and your truck has slipped the net for a recall/revised plate. Nor is any other guide available in a magazine or on a web site unless they can back track to the dealer situation above.

You can tow and tug what the hell you want off the public roads but on them its definitely 1.7tonnes.
do you have a source for this?
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 16:59   #50
Deleted account DD

ps should have added dont get bogged down in axle weights etc for these calculations, they relate to the distribution of the load and are/can be often rectified on the spot
Old 29-12-2010, 17:01   #51
cm2581

Unhappy

daved - this is exactly my opinion but WTF are Nissan doing saying otherwise?!!! The sales manager did admit he knew nothing about towing but was going to check with a friend of his who is a tow bar man. He seemed to think he should know. The only thing about the VOSA leaflet is it is not entirely clear that you couldn't go over 1700kgs if the towing vehicle was not fully laden. I very much doubt this is the case but I have a feeling the dealer will use it as a weasling issue.....!!!!

I wanna manual!!!!!!
Old 29-12-2010, 17:03   #52
cm2581

Quote:
Yes sources!! Lots of sources!! I know it is 1700kgs I'm just trying to find it difinitively so the dealer can't do any weasly wriggling!!
Old 29-12-2010, 17:09   #53
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

well that seems definitive

just looked at the patrol's plate

3080/6580/1500/1800

well 6580 -3080 gives 3500 i know its good for

so 3080 must be gvw

others are front/rear axle max which combined are more
than gvw to allow loadings.

now 3500 is max for a b class vehicle, also stated by parker.

agreed d-c or whatever good rule of thumb

post script

parkers give patrol auto as 2500 tow, pretty sure thats not
in my handbook or troll brocheure.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 17:09   #54
Deleted account DD

Quote:

are you asking for the staute? I'll have to dig the aide memoire out for that, havent dealt with one for ages.

What I can tell you is its one of those things thats as bread and butter as making sure you walk by putting one foot in front of the other. Been using these calculations for years.

One reason those figures exist is for roadside use, clear and unambiguous. Can you imagine a debate like tis at the roadside!! they are enforceable barring some rare mitigations. To be blunt since VOSA got stop check/roadside powers (2003 or therabouts??) theyve been doing most enforment on this.

They use a set of mobile weighing pads and use the data from the plate. the link here http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...20Feb%2008.pdf
id the public facing doc and if you look through it, it says one and the same thing.

Give me a mo to make a couple of calls
Old 29-12-2010, 17:11   #55
lacroupade

Quote:
Yes sources!! Lots of sources!! I know it is 1700kgs I'm just trying to find it difinitively so the dealer can't do any weasly wriggling!!
You need to ring Nissan UK - their customer services helpline is usually pretty good. Don't tell them about the dealer dispute, just say there are legal implications of getting it wrong. They should also be able to put you through to someone technical who can explain why the auto is so limited.

But as daved says, its the info on the plate that confirms it....can anyone say whats on their plate for the manual version?
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 17:13   #56
Deleted account DD

Quote:
daved - this is exactly my opinion but WTF are Nissan doing saying otherwise?!!! The sales manager did admit he knew nothing about towing but was going to check with a friend of his who is a tow bar man. He seemed to think he should know. The only thing about the VOSA leaflet is it is not entirely clear that you couldn't go over 1700kgs if the towing vehicle was not fully laden. I very much doubt this is the case but I have a feeling the dealer will use it as a weasling issue.....!!!!

I wanna manual!!!!!!
Youre stuck in the murky pool of poorly informed experts (at the dealers that is) They can read a part number, use the parts sytem computer, sell a truck or swipe a credit card but as far as an in depth understanding it doesnt really seem to exist beyond a guess

With all due respect to him I dnt think the tow bar man would be the expert either on this one because all the tow bars will propably be made to the higher spec ie 2.8 t so theres no cock ups
Old 29-12-2010, 17:14   #57
lacroupade

Quote:
Youre stuck in the murky pool of poorly informed experts (at the dealers that is) They can read a part number, use the parts sytem computer, sell a truck or swipe a credit card but as far as an in depth understanding it doesnt really seem to exist beyond a guess

With all due respect to him I dnt think the tow bar man would be the expert either on this one because all the tow bars will propably be made to the higher spec ie 2.8 t so theres no cock ups
and the simple fact is it WILL tow a weight like that, but it WILL eventually shag the gearbox

and neither, according to the plate, will it be legal if you are stopped......
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 17:14   #58
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
Y

But as daved says, its the info on the plate that confirms it....can anyone say whats on their plate for the manual version?

My memory is crap but when I checked this when I bought mine, the maths using the same technique took me to the magic 2 point whatever tonnes figure (cant remember if its 2.7 or 2.8 )
Old 29-12-2010, 17:14   #59
cm2581

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
You need to ring Nissan UK - their customer services helpline is usually pretty good. Don't tell them about the dealer dispute, just say there are legal implications of getting it wrong. They should also be able to put you through to someone technical who can explain why the auto is so limited.

It was Nissan UK customer services that said to me and seperately to the dealer 2.8 tonnes! And that was technically correct and he would stand by that - Daniel was his name!! It's this being said by them that is my stumbling block with the dealer I bought the car from!
Old 29-12-2010, 17:18   #60
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Give me a mo to make a couple of calls
No luck

will get the legislation/act etc after I get back to work next week from VOSA contact

remind me on