Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 10-08-2010, 21:19   #31
rayf3262
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano 3.0 SVE 2002

for the sake of a tenner I would give a dose of K-Seal a go, at least it might buy you some time until you can get the job done properly.

Its good stuff.....
http://www.k-seal.co.uk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbekl View Post
cheers briggie, just done a cold test, the pressure builds slowly when cold and quickly once heated slightly.

i have noted a foam forming on the top of the expansion tanks water a thin film type, but with the rad cap off their is definalty foam being created from somewhere not a lot mind but they are along the same time as the larger bubbles

the first pipe to get warm is the flow pipe into the engine (lower pipe) with the top radiator paipe staying cold, then the heater matrix heats up both pipes and then the top pipe heats up slowly if thid makes sence

right now when it comes to running of the car it dont seem any different to when i first bought it but this could have been happening then and this is the first 4x4 i have owned as such

the exhaust is a little bit sooty but not wet at all and no splatters on the road
rayf3262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 21:19   #32
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

forget the sooty exhaust. unless you have PLUMES of smoke trailing out the back, dont worry, 4x4's generally puff out black smoke on hard acceleration, shouldnt have any when idling.

this water thing is doing my head! im with briggie on this though, it sounds so similar to his situation apart from he had to top up 6litres, to your one!

what I want to know is, did the former owners and garage have any reason to SUSPECT head gasket? simple, get onto the owner and ask, and ask for the garage who did the previous work and ring them. sounds to me like they were trying to resolve this very issue by replacing the pump, so I agree that the issue has been present before you bought it.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 21:35   #33
kbekl

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7 LWB GLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayf3262 View Post
for the sake of a tenner I would give a dose of K-Seal a go, at least it might buy you some time until you can get the job done properly.

Its good stuff.....
http://www.k-seal.co.uk/
with this stuff going into the cooling system and the air being forced into the coolant would this not make it seal the system
kbekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 21:42   #34
kbekl

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
forget the sooty exhaust. unless you have PLUMES of smoke trailing out the back, dont worry, 4x4's generally puff out black smoke on hard acceleration, shouldnt have any when idling.

this water thing is doing my head! im with briggie on this though, it sounds so similar to his situation apart from he had to top up 6litres, to your one!

what I want to know is, did the former owners and garage have any reason to SUSPECT head gasket? simple, get onto the owner and ask, and ask for the garage who did the previous work and ring them. sounds to me like they were trying to resolve this very issue by replacing the pump, so I agree that the issue has been present before you bought it.
well the former owner has had the mav for 7 years and has always had everything done, its had a new exhaust in jan and all the other work 2 mths ago, their was no mention of the head gasket to him when they looked at it, also his brother works for Nissan and he is looking into it for me to see if i could be something else.

their is no smoke at idle only a small amount at the start and heavy footing time

their does seem to be a gas/light smoke (how can i put it a bit like you would get of a kettle that has just started to heat up but a bit bluer) when the level in the rad is rising, is their a chance the head gasket goes around the outlet manifold and it is exhaust gasses that's causing the bubbles ??? or is that not possible ?
Old 10-08-2010, 21:45   #35
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

Quote:
well the former owner has had the mav for 7 years and has always had everything done, its had a new exhaust in jan and all the other work 2 mths ago, their was no mention of the head gasket to him when they looked at it, also his brother works for Nissan and he is looking into it for me to see if i could be something else.

their is no smoke at idle only a small amount at the start and heavy footing time

their does seem to be a gas/light smoke (how can i put it a bit like you would get of a kettle that has just started to heat up but a bit bluer) when the level in the rad is rising, is their a chance the head gasket goes around the outlet manifold and it is exhaust gasses that's causing the bubbles ??? or is that not possible ?
rick ( solarman 216 ) will know better , but im sure something like that happened to mine
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 21:50   #36
rayf3262

That's the general idea... it is called k-SEAL.. it will not impede the water flow in the cooling system though.

Quote:
with this stuff going into the cooling system and the air being forced into the coolant would this not make it seal the system
Old 10-08-2010, 22:10   #37
kbekl

Quote:
That's the general idea... it is called k-SEAL.. it will not impede the water flow in the cooling system though.
don't think i made the right comment lol

i meant to say woould the gas thats coming into the coolant just blow the seal off ? i understand it would work for the water going into the engine but i have gas getting into the coolant with no water in the engine
Old 10-08-2010, 22:11   #38
kbekl

Quote:

i meant to say would the gas that's coming into the coolant just blow the seal off ? i understand it would work for the water going into the engine but i have gas getting into the coolant with no water in the engine
Old 10-08-2010, 22:21   #39
rayf3262

It may take a while but it should work. At some point when the engine is not running the pressure in the cooling system will exceed that elsewhere so the product will migrate into the offending leak area and eventually seal, just don't take the rad cap off until its cooled down.
Hey, its only 10 quids worth! or less if you buy it on ebay etc.. and it wont do any harm....

Quote:

i meant to say would the gas that's coming into the coolant just blow the seal off ? i understand it would work for the water going into the engine but i have gas getting into the coolant with no water in the engine
Old 10-08-2010, 23:09   #40
briggie

depends how long you are gonna keep it i suppose
Old 10-08-2010, 23:29   #41
kbekl

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
depends how long you are gonna keep it i suppose
well i would like to keep the mav for the foreseeable future tbh

suppose i just need a definite answer to the question is this the head gasket or something else ?
Old 10-08-2010, 23:32   #42
kbekl

does this site contain the repair manual for the head gasket like the haynes or a similar step by step guide

also other than what i have what tools am i looking at
i have
torqe wrench
sockets
a few screwdrivers
normal socket set
and hammer (just incase lol)
Old 10-08-2010, 23:33   #43
briggie

Quote:
does this site contain the repair manual for the head gasket like the haynes or a similar step by step guide

also other than what i have what tools am i looking at
i have
torqe wrench
sockets
a few screwdrivers
normal socket set
and hammer (just incase lol)
http://bebrs.pie-dabas.net/Webs/Terrano/R20/em.pdf
Old 10-08-2010, 23:36   #44
solarman216
Off road maniac