Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 05-01-2011, 21:07   #31
stevecrm
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano

hmmm, lights and flashing.

about 10 years ago I was on the way to a family holiday in cornwall with my wife (ex now) who was heavily pregnant with my son and had my three year old daughter in the child seat in the back. Someone coming the other way flashed their lights which distracted the driver behind me who then hit the back of my stationary Frontera at a police estimated 80mph causing a seven car pileup all because an idiot (who was never found) flashed his lights.

after hours in the hospital praying everything was ok it was. so we carried on with our holiday, but my kids could have been killed all because of someone distracting other drivers by flashing his lights.

I am not the best driver in the world but the only time I would flash someone is in a carpark these days.

if someone coming the other way is going too fast and gets caught by a camera, then tuff luck on them
stevecrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:11   #32
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecrm View Post

about 10 years ago I was on the way to a family holiday in cornwall with my wife (ex now) who was heavily pregnant with my son and had my three year old daughter in the child seat in the back. Someone coming the other way flashed their lights which distracted the driver behind me who then hit the back of my stationary Frontera at a police estimated 80mph causing a seven car pileup all because an idiot (who was never found) flashed his lights.

after hours in the hospital praying everything was ok it was. so we carried on with our holiday, but my kids could have been killed all because of someone distracting other drivers by flashing his lights.

I am not the best driver in the world but the only time I would flash someone is in a carpark these days.

if someone coming the other way is going too fast and gets caught by a camera, then tuff luck on them
in my humble opinion that accident was not caused by someone flashing his lights , it was probably caused by the driver driving too fast and too close not paying attention to traffic around him/her ...... glad you where ok tho
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:11   #33
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post
i'm lost, if your not speeding when you hit the trap it's not an ofence, so how are you evading anything?
He was found guilty of willful obstruction. Wasnt "evading" anything

Quote:
aren't these things supossed to be 'transparent' now? hence the orange stickers on all the fixed cameras?
Yes so anyone as pointed out elswhere who couldnt see them without the help of the Grimsby flasher really does need sticking on.

Quote:
so if the other drivers who were speeding (and apparently there weren't any who were, none visible anyway) slowed down becasue he flashed, then they are at fault not him? at least equaly guilty if nothing else?
Yes but unfortunately that would be impossible to prove whereas the Grimsby flasher threw himself into the prosecutors arms with a sneaky little observed flash , a cough that he did it and a pathetic defence.

Quote:
It would be worth having a pol, how many of us have commited this offence -I have, i admit it. Slap the cuffs on
Used to , havent for years, self preservation. Check out some blameworthy collision rulings
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:20   #34
stevecrm

Vehicle: Nissan Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
in my humble opinion that accident was not caused by someone flashing his lights
the driver was going too fast but admitted to the police that he was looking at the flashing lights on the other car when he crashed into me
stevecrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:21   #35
Deleted account DD

Quote:
In mitigation i had no idea it was an offence, though i know ignorance is no defence - and i'm still not convinced that it is.
explained pretty well here http://www.decisiondrivinguk.com/flashingheadlights.htm

Well reasoned and I maybe agree with his "I'm here" interpretation, ie narrowing down the definition of a hazard

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...91998&topic=36

The highway code gives the basis for driving standards. Generally breaching that guidance takes you into the realms of statute
Old 05-01-2011, 21:21   #36
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

Quote:
the driver was going too fast but admitted to the police that he was looking at the flashing lights on the other car when he crashed into me
then he/she is a idiot , not the person flashing his / her lights
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:23   #37
Deleted account DD

Quote:
in my humble opinion that accident was not caused by someone flashing his lights ,
Quote:
then he/she is a idiot , not the person flashing his / her lights

Think HID 4k plus flashing at you, it would screw you vision big time
Old 05-01-2011, 21:28   #38
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Angry And another thing !!

Now I know you can use statistics and do with them what you will but in round figures in 1973 motorists (including themselves) killed about 7,500 people a year by 2009 that number had fallen to about 2000.

Not all of it is down to better roads & cars or speed cameras - some of it is advances in medical science that badly injured folk have survived.

The murder figure from crime is harder to pin down due to many pleas for manslaughter being accepted but it used to be around the 7,000 per annum mark and has not changed hugely though the conviction rate is pretty good at aroud the 90 % mark.

If its your son / daughter / wife / husband / father / mother /etc thats been killed its not much comfort if its a car thats been responsible or a criminal robbing them that has caused the death but its easier to prevent a death on the road than it is a crime of greed or passion so banging on about anti social behaviour or burglary being a greater priority cuts no ice with me.

I have been burgled and had my car damaged but would sooner see enforcement of traffic regulations as the odds are that we would survive the effects of being burgled again but not of some loon driving too fast round our estate.

There I feel better for that little rant. My pet hate at the moment people texting and using a mobile phone that is not hand free whilst driving. To be honest even hands free use is far from safe judging by my own driving !
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:31   #39
Deleted account DD

Mind you one point..............

The Grimsby Flasher was wasting his time anyway.

A large proportion of drivers cant see a large high viz battenburg marked car with alternating flashing headlamps, blue roof lights, grill and rear red and blue strobes.

So anyone stupid enough to miss the traffic slowing as it does by speed traps is highly unlikely to ave seen him.
Old 05-01-2011, 21:34   #40
kbekl

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7 LWB GLX

Quote:

now here i do know you would have been on the a30 from the m5 unless you was on an A road

was you parked or were you in traffic ?
kbekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:36   #41
Deleted account DD

Rule 90 & 91 Highway code apparently explains
Old 05-01-2011, 21:44   #42
kbekl

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7 LWB GLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved View Post
Mind you one point..............

The Grimsby Flasher was wasting his time anyway.

A large proportion of drivers cant see a large high viz battenburg marked car with alternating flashing headlamps, blue roof lights, grill and rear red and blue strobes.

So anyone stupid enough to miss the traffic slowing as it does by speed traps is highly unlikely to ave seen him.
i didnt think they could hide the fact that they were doing speed checks in the area ?

i dont see the point in convicting a person for obstructing police just because he flashed his head lights

i think the time would have been better spent on finding criminals than trying to show what an arse the police force is by convicting an old man and to have fined him over £400 intotal is a bit of a tosser thing to do from the court why not just give him points

i flash my hazzards when i come to a traffic jam on the motorway may be i should just let the people behind hit me at least i wont get a £400 fine

at the end of the day it is a hazzard on the road a police officer stood with a little gun or even in a van as people brake sharply when they see them even if they are not actually speeding

i think the police are starting to show their is reason for the cut backs
kbekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:44   #43
paulp

Vehicle: nissan mistral 27td
Default wtf

I believe that a presedence has already been set in 2005, whereby a conviction was avoided on the grounds that the flasher did not know if the other motorist were speeding.

the world has gone mad

paulp
paulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 22:05   #44
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbekl View Post
i didnt think they could hide the fact that they were doing speed checks in the area ?
Dont. Generally theres a plethora of high viz clothing and a big thing parked up called a police car.

Quote:

i dont see the point in convicting a person for obstructing police just because he flashed his head lights
He committed an offence if the intent was demonstrated or proven, not "just because he flashed his lights" It isnt generally worth bothering numpties who think they're a flashing led unless theres an underlying reason or problem why theyre doing it

Quote:

i think the time would have been better spent on finding criminals than trying to show what an arse the police force is by convicting an old man and to have fined him over £400 intotal is a bit of a tosser thing to do from the court why not just give him points
More is spent on crime, but more people die on the road where blameworthiness is attributed than are murdered or die from substance abuse each year. It would have cost him more to take the points.

Quote:

i flash my hazzards when i come to a traffic jam on the motorway may be i should just let the people behind hit me at least i wont get a £400 fine
Absolutely completely different scenario. The guidelines were actually changed to accomodate the situation you describe because it made sense

Quote:
at the end of the day it is a hazzard on the road a police officer stood with a little gun or even in a van as people brake sharply when they see them even if they are not actually speeding
Or everyone creating a hazard by 1/looking around to see why theyre being flashed (see steves example) or 2/ slapping all on there and ten because they reckon its someone obstructing the police trying to stop them speeding

Quote:
i think the police are starting to show their is reason for the cut backs
Sadly I think you may just see in the real life world we live in that you are completely wrong on that one

As far as starting to show need for cutbacks, locations and operation of speed cameras has to be for a reason. Its well regulated and enforced upon cops.

Where that cop with the speed gun was will be a target road. To be a target road there needs to be substantiated complaints from the public (speed surveys before enforcement) or have been subject to a number of reported collisions.

Its no surprise the press dont publish that info whilst trying to defend the Grimsby flasher but it is disappointing that those who argue against speed enforcement and make such bland statments seem to be devoid of research and understanding.

But at least theyre alive I suppose to be so critically nonchalant
Old 05-01-2011, 22:24   #45
Kamsin

Vehicle: Maverick 4x4 2.7 TDI 97

The highway codes states that you only flash your lights to warn of danger or to warn other road users of your presents. However, the police are not allowed to use a camera unless it is in an area of danger where lives have been lost. They also have to have signs showing that cameras are used in that area.

I have no idea what point im trying to make as i have had a few beers and just wanted to join in as i felt left out......
Kamsin is offline   Reply With Quote