Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 05-01-2011, 16:13   #16
(RIP) PLANK
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

I see your point, i'm not condoning speeding, and on a road with a 70 mph limit for cars, surely that's fast enough anyway!

But, i can't see the value in prosecuting this man, surley the point of speed traps is to set and example, make people scared to speed for fear of bine caught, under the assumption that the law and reasonable expectation has failed.

Is the point to make sure they catch more people to make more money - or to improve road saftey? if it's the later this man has done no harm.
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 16:15   #17
venture

Vehicle: SWB NISSAN TERRANO TDI

Dam shame that the police are not so vigilant when it comes to drug dealing scrotes or pond life that beat up the elderly, or break into houses this country is F£$%^ed and until we start to punish the true law breakers then it will never change
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 16:19   #18
felixthelogchopper

Vehicle: 1996 Ford Maverick 2.7TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANK View Post

Is the point to make sure they catch more people to make more money - or to improve road saftey? if it's the later this man has done no harm.
My point exactly
felixthelogchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 16:28   #19
TONUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by venture View Post
Dam shame that the police are not so vigilant when it comes to drug dealing scrotes or pond life that beat up the elderly, or break into houses this country is F£$%^ed and until we start to punish the true law breakers then it will never change
Detecting those types of crime is a lot harder, than waiting for someone to drive past at 44 in a 40 zone.

Alan
TONUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 17:17   #20
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONUP View Post
Detecting those types of crime is a lot harder, than waiting for someone to drive past at 44 in a 40 zone.

Alan
Exactly
The camera things are not meant to be "Speed traps" are they? I thought the big vans with a scroat inside were "Safety Camera" vans, helping the community by giving it a small commision on the fines accrued.
The inference is certainly that it wasn't an accident black spot but a Bizzy in the hedge with his ray gun trying get some easy money off stupid drivers( sorry that should be "Cash cows" )
Before you all jump on my cavalier ways, I'm not condoning "Speeding" either, but even macabethiel has admitted to travelling too fast !
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 17:49   #21
Karinofnine

Vehicle: Y60 4.2D

Yup, it's a lovely easy one to add to the success statistics for the cops isn't it?

Add one convicted speeder/motoring offence to the stats,

much easier (as said above) than spending all those resources catching scumbags who rob old people or terrorise neighbourhoods.

Let's all drive at 30mph (and pay tax x3 for the privilege) while mini gangsters (probably on benefits) shoot and otherwise terrorise their way through housing estates, that seems fair - not.

Ohhhh, too right wing, sorry! Must relax, relax, reeelllaaxxx and breathe... lol
Karinofnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 19:20   #22
Deleted account DD

LMFAO he doesnt need a better solicior he needs to give his head a very hard shake. If he isnt bright enough to realise the traffic slows anyway when the cameras there he is a pratt.

Chuck it at him but not for obstruction..................... being a cock
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 19:26   #23
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved View Post
LMFAO he doesnt need a better solicior he needs to give his head a very hard shake. If he isnt bright enough to realise the traffic slows anyway when the cameras there he is a pratt.

ouch! you don't want to be saying that LOL
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 19:48   #24
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved View Post

So it is stealth tax then
What is wrong with say flashing your lights to warn of a horse having a wander?
Or perhaps, some jolly council types changing the leaves in the drains without proper signs up?
OOH, what about, look out chap there's been an accident back there, slow down?
Surely all the above would be kind and generous driver warnings of a hazard ahead, would they not?
BLOODY BIG IF speed cameras are to keep us safe by being placed in accident black spots, then logically those spots must be er dangerous and so worthy of warning.
I haven't read the blurb about the the ray gun involved, but if it was a big white van then yes any driver not seeing it or the slowing traffic, gets it (I know)
If it was plod in the hedge well that's a hazard
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 19:56   #25
tezzer

Vehicle: transit camper van 1987

a very interesting post, but what can be done about it, nothing as usual, we will take on the chin, they wouldn't put up with it would they??
viva le france,
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 20:17   #26
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post
So it is stealth tax then
What is wrong with say flashing your lights to warn of a horse having a wander?
Or perhaps, some jolly council types changing the leaves in the drains without proper signs up?
OOH, what about, look out chap there's been an accident back there, slow down?
Surely all the above would be kind and generous driver warnings of a hazard ahead, would they not?
BLOODY BIG IF speed cameras are to keep us safe by being placed in accident black spots, then logically those spots must be er dangerous and so worthy of warning.
I haven't read the blurb about the the ray gun involved, but if it was a big white van then yes any driver not seeing it or the slowing traffic, gets it (I know)
If it was plod in the hedge well that's a hazard

Get real , the sole intention of that pratt was almost certainly to warn people of the speed trap (you know Im not a fan of them) with THE INTENTION OF AVOIDING PROSECUTION thats an offence black and white. The CPS and the magistrates must have been pissing themselves laughing at such a weak defence. His solicitor must have gone and spent the easiest money he's earned with pleasure.

Now if he wants to throw himself into the arms of a willing prosecution service by being thick let him go for it, just dont whinge afterwards. Now the rest of the traffic, having been there I can state with some experience if you speeds you takes your chance. Its not as theyre new on the road side.

Look at it another way, all these pratts flashing lights all the time totally devalue the potential of using them to indicate a real hazard.

By that i mean you go through a mental list , i it my mate or someone who thinks it is flashing......errr no

is it a speed trap............well I'm not speeding anyway so no

so tell you what, I'll ignore it .....................oops ive just ran down the drain cleaner.

Or alternatively you could just slap all on and cause an incident every time you saw a flashing light

If you did slow down every time someone flashed their lights youd never get anywhere

Lmfao (genuinely) at everyone defending this pratt. I'll bet most of those who support him also think they have "automatic authority orange flashing parking lights" they use regularly that put a protective halo around them

Public service my arse, he's as immoral as the bloody cameras he's taken on
Old 05-01-2011, 20:19   #27
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Nothing new in this type of conviction motorists have been posecuted before for warning motorists about speed traps.

To be honest my view is that we should avoid warning motorists about such police activity as it defeats the object of catching unobservant or dangerous drivers and there are plenty around just look at all those School rum Mums with a handheld mobile clamped to their heads.

If you drive over the speed limit and your road observations are so poor you cannot see a Huge White Police Camera Van or a PC with a handheld speedgun wearing a flourescent jacket then are you likely to spot a young child who might run into the road ?

Isn't being a good driver all about control - 10% car control - 90 % self control ?

I have been driving for 45 years and presently drive around 40K miles a year between work & pleasure. I have never been done for speeding and have had one caution during the fuel crisis in 1974 for exceeding the 50 mph limit on a dual carriageway where the normal limit was 70 mph. It would be unrealistic of me to say I never exceed the speed limit but when I have I crank up my road observation to suit.

As I have grown older and a little wiser I have avoided exceeding the 30 & 40 limits not to avoid getting some penalty points but to avoid seriously injuring or killing another road user.

Can you imagine what it must be like to live with the consequences of being involved in a serious injury road collision with the knowledge that the outcome might have been different if you were not speeding ?

Sadly some drivers do not have enough grey matter between their ears to ever realise what they have done or might do.

Dont mean to preach just need to have my say.

well said and I'd like to add the flasher in question falls heavily into the category Ive highlighted. He just doesnt get the bigger picture.

Old 05-01-2011, 20:48   #28
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

i'm lost, if your not speeding when you hit the trap it's not an ofence, so how are you evading anything?

And wouldn't the fact that he was driving a lorry have blocked other road users view of the ray gun?

aren't these things supossed to be 'transparent' now? hence the orange stickers on all the fixed cameras?

so basically it's now illegal to flash your lights at another motorist? and in teh high way cod does it not tell us to [basically] take no notice of people flashing their lights?

so if the other drivers who were speeding (and apparently there weren't any who were, none visible anyway) slowed down becasue he flashed, then they are at fault not him? at least equaly guilty if nothing else?

It would be worth having a pol, how many of us have commited this offence -I have, i admit it. Slap the cuffs on

In mitigation i had no idea it was an offence, though i know ignorance is no defence - and i'm still not convinced that it is.
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 20:55   #29
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

i often flash my lights , or hazards to warn other motorists of a impending hazard ahead , be it standing traffic , or a accident , or anything i consider a danger to other motorists ........ is that a offence too ? ..... i thought it was being courteous to other road users , but i stand to be corrected
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:03   #30
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggie View Post
i often flash my lights , or hazards to warn other motorists of a impending hazard ahead , be it standing traffic , or a accident , or anything i consider a danger to other motorists ........ is that a offence too ? ..... i thought it was being courteous to other road users , but i stand to be corrected
no that is absolutely the correct use, notification of a hazard , horse in the road, rtc etc etc

however if challenged you must be able to explain why you perceive it as a hazard. Unfortunately Mr Not2bright of Grimsby used one of the oldest cliched tired non starter going