Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 26-05-2010, 06:58   #1
spiderpig37
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: nissan terrano t2+
Default Gone and done it

Well iv`e gone and sold my nissan navara outlaw and bought a 2000 terrano se plus last night nice and tidy drove home no probs,only thing wrong is that when stood with engine running there is a rumbling noise but when you press the clutch down it stops could it be the release bearing? Going to get some filters and do a major service when i am able to crawl about just had my appendix out and a umbillical hernia repaired a bit sore at the mo.
great site so get ready for plenty of questions
cheers Andy
spiderpig37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:32   #2
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpig37 View Post
Well iv`e gone and sold my nissan navara outlaw and bought a 2000 terrano se plus last night nice and tidy drove home no probs,only thing wrong is that when stood with engine running there is a rumbling noise but when you press the clutch down it stops could it be the release bearing? Going to get some filters and do a major service when i am able to crawl about just had my appendix out and a umbillical hernia repaired a bit sore at the mo.
great site so get ready for plenty of questions
cheers Andy
bad news is its likely, from all that I've heard, to be the gearbox layshaft.....i have excatly the same thing, although its more of a clatter then a rumble?
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:51   #3
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

hmm, ive got a little tiny clatter too, but not a rumble.
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 09:53   #4
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

Turn the stereo up LOUD
Then fix it when the clutch dies
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 14:58   #5
spiderpig37

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post
Turn the stereo up LOUD
Then fix it when the clutch dies
That sounds like a plan gona get some miles on it next few days and see how it goes,any body got a ball park figure of how much to have a clutch fitted and where in Doncaster?
cheers Andy
Old 26-05-2010, 15:01   #6
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

there is " willows gold dust list" could see if theres one close to you..

thought NOT the one Briggie says
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 16:12   #7
DEE

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2

Quote:
That sounds like a plan gona get some miles on it next few days and see how it goes,any body got a ball park figure of how much to have a clutch fitted and where in Doncaster?
cheers Andy

£800 squid called to 4 garages by me to ask about avin a clutch fitted they all came back about the same price. So lent my cousin ramp did it my self with a little help gearbox a little heavy for one ? £260 parts Every garage i asked put a data disc in there computer Told me 8hrs work between 8to9 hundred Will give that a mis i said
DEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 17:33   #8
lacroupade

Quote:
cheers Andy
If its clattering with the clutch pedal up in neutral then its is the layshaft, and thats a gearbox job, not clutch
Old 28-05-2010, 12:24   #9
spiderpig37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
bad news is its likely, from all that I've heard, to be the gearbox layshaft.....i have excatly the same thing, although its more of a clatter then a rumble?
on further listening mine is more of a clatter how long have you had yours does it give you any problems? i changed the gear box oil yesterday and the oil that came out was pretty thin and black on the drain plug magnet there was only a tiny bit of swarfe.We are looking to go away in a few weeks with the caravan would it be ok to tow do you think? changed the engine oil and filter,what a pain to get at,going to do the axels and transfer box this weekend stitces permitting well metal stapels that they have used
cheers Andy
Old 28-05-2010, 12:28   #10
Timbo_1975

Vehicle: Inbetween Terrano's !

A mild rattle at tickover in neutral when hot that disappears if you raise the revs alittle is normal. Especially if the sump plug shows no sizable chunks of bearing!!

Chrsit, remember Mini / Maxi / Princess idler gears? Sounded like they were throwing grenades at each other!
Timbo_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 12:39   #11
spiderpig37

i think i will see how it develops going to get the caravan out of storage and see how it tows,as they say nothing ventured nothing gained?only had the terrano a few days after selling a navara d22 the terrano is a lot better ride and seems to have more poke
cheers Andy
Old 28-05-2010, 12:40   #12
supertaff

Vehicle: 1999 (V) Terrano II SE

If you check out previous posts, this has been talked about before.
If it sounds like VERY noisy tappets , but dissappears when you dip the clutch, it's probably "Gearbox chatter" coming from the leyshaft. How about doing a gearbox oil-change, and shoving some "Molyslip" gearbox additive in with the new oil.
If you send Richard at "Mrs.Crewchief " on Ebay an e-mail explaining what the problem is, he has a wealth of technical info. and will advise you on what product and how much to use.
supertaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 14:45   #13
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo_1975 View Post
A mild rattle at tickover in neutral when hot that disappears if you raise the revs alittle is normal. Especially if the sump plug shows no sizable chunks of bearing!!

Chrsit, remember Mini / Maxi / Princess idler gears? Sounded like they were throwing grenades at each other!
I went to the factory launch of the Princess.....I must be about 110 years old

No this is a much more pronounced and slightly 'random' clatter clearly emanating from a single point, and on mine, if I let the clutch up really fast, or dip it repeatedly fast, it sometimes goes bonkers and gets into a more regular and noisier rattle.....had it for about 20k miles so just waiting for the thing to die.....and wondering if its a relatively cheap job to do rather than fork out for a refurb box....
Old 28-05-2010, 21:25   #14
iceman

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2.7 tdi

spiderpig37 i loved a nissan navara outlaw but now you have a Terrano i had the rumbling noise on both my gearboxes and tbh and it is my opinion because i changed my oils and then some said putting thicker oil in then i bought expensive stuff off ebay and as soon as i did this bang lost my gears so if it happened again i would grim and bear it and leave it alone until it goes this way you should get more miles then tampering with it.

my i add i have a jeep with a 2004 gearbox and new clutch fitted at the same time if you interested (only probs i live in northern ireland lol).
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote