Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > Caravan or Towing

Caravan or Towing In this forum you can post anything with regards to caravaning or towing.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:49   #1
BIGPLC
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol 3.0 Y61
Default Tyres- To stop me spinning again!

Hi folks,

I have had my Y61 for 6 months now, 3.0 DTI and I love it, however, I have noticed it is a bit slippy on the back end coming off roundabouts when its wet.

SO, on Sunday just gone, I was driving somewhere and the road was a bit damp and I was coming off a roundabout at around 15 miles an hour and the back end spun completely round 180 degrees and I ended up on the grass verge facing the other way!! If the kerb had been any higher I would have rolled it but luckily the tyres bumped over the low kerb. (Sh!t my pants)
Anyway, I wanted to ask if this is a common issue with these vehicles ( I know it was with a previous L200 if it had nothing in the back) or do people think it could be the tyres I have on the rear (cheap ones that were on originally when I bought it)
I have since ordered 2 new Yokohama Geolandar G039 265/70 R16 S tyres as they seem the best for fuel economy (C), wet grip (C) and noise (72db).
I know the BFGoodrich are the best tyres but their fuel economy was (E) and the grip was B rated and they were 50% more expensive.
SO, is this a common problem and what do people think of the Yokahamas I have ordered (they are the ones that come as standard on Shoguns)?
Thanks in advance!

Nissan Patrol 2004 3.0 DTI 56,000 miles.
BIGPLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07   #2
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Terranos get a bit skittish when the rear diff oil needs replacing. and being limited slip you need to use the correct oil
Tyre choice is a mine field. Everybody has their favourites
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:46   #3
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

Yeh it's definitely worth changing diff oil if you have lsd but I reckon those tyres will sort the problem, cheap tyres can be dangerous.

I had a megane a few years back with cheapo tyres on on all four corners, I got them changed for extra grippy ones then cut into them with a hacksaw to make them un usable, they had loads of tread left on them and they probably would have been sold on as part worns but I'm not joking they were so dangerous in the wet there was no way I was letting them end up on another car, I spun out twice on them!
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:47   #4
Paultrol

Vehicle: Patrol

I've got BF Goodridge AT KO2 285/70/17 and done 13,000 miles on them.
The fuel consumption is noticeable, I was quite shocked. But they excell in all other areas. Very good on snow and cold ice.
Paultrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:53   #5
Fez_uk

Vehicle: Maverick 2.7 - Patrol 4.2

Check if you have a rear LSD or difflock.

Could be bad oil in the lsd or maybe the rear difflock is stuck on?
Fez_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:56   #6
BIGPLC

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol 3.0 Y61

All the flids and oils were checked 2 weeks ago when I had a new air con condenser fitted and the wheel hubs were greased. BTW, apparently this is a MUST on the Patrol GR but Nissan didn't fit and nipples to the hubs so greasing them is a real pig. My mechanic said they were dry as a bone and put 2 tubes of grease into each one. Should last a while.
Anyway, its not the oil in the rear diff, I am hoping the new tyres will improve things!
BIGPLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:19   #7
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

Unless it's an import it won't have LSD it'll be a rear difflock. Don't think the difflock will engage/stay engaged if not in 4wd though I've never tried

Tbh bud, I reckon the cheap tyres will contribute but at the end of the day this is a heavy rear wheel drive truck with a heavy front end and pretty much the longest wheelbase in its class and we just have to remember that when driving

I run Cooper STT muds and do occasionally fishtail a bit coming off wet roundabouts if I forget myself although I've never spun out.

Re the hubs, assuming you're on the standard ones then they do need periodic maintenance and taking off to grease but only lightly as too much will stop them working properly (can foul up the mechanism).

I'm on aftermarket AVM manuals which you're specifically told not to grease.
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:23   #8
Fez_uk

Vehicle: Maverick 2.7 - Patrol 4.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrbeast View Post
Don't think the difflock will engage/stay engaged if not in 4wd though I've never tried
I would of thought you could select rear difflock in 2wd? maybe you can't. Would be a shame, get some nice drifting going
Fez_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:33   #9
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

What the guide in the handbook says

Could still do with manual hubs unlocked of course ... if my difflock wasn't broken
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 22:50   #10
rockymtnslayer

Vehicle: terrano 2.7 tdi SPORTY...

+1 for the geolanders, theyve been great on mty terrano, allready put 10,000 plus miles on them and still 8mm tread
rockymtnslayer is offline   Reply With Quote