Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 09-07-2012, 21:46   #1
Kishada
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano II
Default Hello, i bought gazterrano's one

Hi to all.

I joined looking to buy and quickly took gazterrano's one.
About a 600 mile round trip in all but got to see both Harrogate and York on the way so had a great weekend.
Of all the strange reasons to want one of these, i MOT'd one about a month ago. Our brake rollers can't accomodate 4wd's so i had to road test it and use the decellerometer. I was instantly hooked!

A week on i'm still loving it but think i did some damage on the way home.
Blitzed to the redline on the way up a hill and a persistent whistle now follows whenever the turbo is on boost.
I would say it's a boost leak that i'm still trying to trace.
Had the Intercooler off and there's no appreciable damage or oily deposits where there might be a pinhole so next port of call is the inlet manifold/throttle body gaskets. Are these known problems?

Anyway, thanks to Gary for the terrano and i'll start a thread in the projects section if you have one.

Cheers
Kishada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 21:50   #2
zippy656

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishada View Post

Anyway, thanks to Gary for the terrano and i'll start a thread in the projects section if you have one.

Cheers
welcome

start one and well have one then

loads of help here, for stuff you didn't know was even wrong!
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 22:07   #3
stinka

Vehicle: '02 Terrano TDI sport lwb

If u enjoy the fixing side of things, u have bought the right motor

Not just that one, mind u that is a minter having seen it myself
stinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 22:13   #4
(RIP) PLANK

Vehicle: T2 2004 TDI SE LWB

the turbo whistle is often a sign of the flexi in the exhaust starting to leak.
(RIP) PLANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 22:16   #5
762buzz

Vehicle: nissan pathfinder 2.5 adv

hello and welcome to the club

well if u got gaz,s truck u deffinitly picked up a minter there one of the best i have seen and the bloke new how to keep it clean and tidy

shame about hearing the news about the noise but sometimes it takes a good run to warm things up before the problems appear

but ur in the right place now plenty of t2/mav knowledge on here
762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:47   #6
Kishada

Thanks for the welcomes.

An exhaust leak was one of the things i definitely wanted to rule out and on inspection the exhaust looks no more than 6 months old (full system) with no carbon deposits from leaks and it's a good quality Klarius system.

I've rebuilt turbos before and even designed and installed a turbo system on my other petrol Nissan, and having assessed the Garret T20 (i think that's what comes on these?) on the truck, it's in great condition with minimal play in the shaft.

I've got an upper head set coming tomorrow for about £45 that comes with the inlet manifold gasket (Nissan wanted £34 just for the single gasket!!!) so i'm going to tear down the inlet side of things on my next day off and see what i find. Reason i think it's a boost leak isn't just the sound, my fuel consumption has deteriorated as i'm having to use more throttle than i remember.

At stinka, I think it's an illness i have. As if over 50hrs a week at work wasn't enough working on cars i still love to do it in my days off too

I couldn't see a 'project' section so will throw it up in the pics of your motor section.
Old 10-07-2012, 21:14   #7
meatball

Vehicle: nissan terrano 2 touring

I can also vouch for gaz's motor, when we met up on a landing day the bloke avoided every puddle going, the only person more delicate with their car was,

Buzz!!!!!!

But no he didn't mistreat it one bit, good buy there
meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:21   #8
762buzz

Vehicle: nissan pathfinder 2.5 adv

Start ur project thread in here it's for t2 and mavs

http://www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com/f...splay.php?f=49
762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39   #9
arcascomp

Vehicle: 96 Mitsubishi Challenger!

Welcome to the madhouse, if you want to eyeball a rusty example, I have exhibit A!
arcascomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 14:09   #10
gazterrano

Vehicle: terrano11 2.7tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishada View Post
Hi to all.

I joined looking to buy and quickly took gazterrano's one.
About a 600 mile round trip in all but got to see both Harrogate and York on the way so had a great weekend.
Of all the strange reasons to want one of these, i MOT'd one about a month ago. Our brake rollers can't accomodate 4wd's so i had to road test it and use the decellerometer. I was instantly hooked!

A week on i'm still loving it but think i did some damage on the way home.
Blitzed to the redline on the way up a hill and a persistent whistle now follows whenever the turbo is on boost.
I would say it's a boost leak that i'm still trying to trace.
Had the Intercooler off and there's no appreciable damage or oily deposits where there might be a pinhole so next port of call is the inlet manifold/throttle body gaskets. Are these known problems?

Cheers
hi i see your getting hooked on the terrano ,its never been apart in the the time i had it so it will probably do it good, DID I HEAR YOU RIGHT!!!! redlined it ah its not used to that poor thing will be panting for hrs now im already missing it good old reliable bus she never let me down not the quickest but great workhorse which is the reason i got her to pull my caravan & did it effortless .. well good luck on the service side years life left in the old girl , keep us posted pete
gazterrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:47   #11
Kishada

Lol, yup Gaz i'm afraid I gave it the proverbial beans as the missus was complaining of the black fog coming from the tailpipe when i kept putting my foot down. I bought some Millers diesel treatment from Halfords in York before we set off on the long journey home on Monday and decided to blitz it up a hill to my peril!
Oh, and she ripped the front bumper off the silver Volvo at Costa Todhill services just north of Carlisle on the lovely wet Monday night at 6:30pm just before we departed on the last leg. The bumper hooked over the curb when we parked and decided to part completely on the offside and along the front when she hit reverse when we went to leave. Not the ideal complication to trying to get 2 cars half way up the country after 3 days away from home!

Buzz, cheers for the link. I'll post up there.

arcascomp, I noticed your location before i even bought the Terrano and checked out your link on the veg oil. Very interesting! Does Wong's give you any oil? To give you a clue, i work next door!

Cheers guys