Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 28-03-2011, 07:04   #1
zippy656
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Nissan Note Ntec 1.5
Default who running on svo cooking oil?

just seen this, any one seen this problem and found an answer??

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...ge=1#pid257522
zippy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 09:45   #2
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

OOph Zippy you don't fancy your ring being gummed then
I think as you're running a diesel /veg mix you'll be ok anyway
You can change your oil more regularly I guess and check your compression from time to time.
How many miles a year do you do?
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 09:50   #3
zippy656

i have run at 100% veggie at times, summer..

9 to 10 K a year, maybe less with fuel as much as it is..

will change oil more.. can only but help..

was wandering if any one else has had / seen this?
Old 28-03-2011, 10:20   #4
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

I think the only way to tell if things are starting to slide would be to take compression readings now and again in 3 months time. Repeat 3 monthly
If it starts to fall then do a flush or sell it
I've run mine neat too and now all bio so who knows whats going on in there but I'll keep at it
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 17:24   #5
geoffdown

Vehicle: terrano 2.7tdi SE+ (X)reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy656 View Post
i have run at 100% veggie at times, summer..

9 to 10 K a year, maybe less with fuel as much as it is..

will change oil more.. can only but help..

was wandering if any one else has had / seen this?
hi zippy well i no i will get alot of stick from alot of people for saying this but here goes i have now gone away from bio only because the guy producing it has stopped so i have now converted my 2.7tdi bosch system to twin tank so i start up on diesel and after a few mins flick the switch to svo then if i stop the car in the day and i no i will jump back in it before the engine gets cold i leave it on oil at the end of the day i flush the system so only diesel in the ip and injectors system cost me around £150 but u already have the heat exchanger so should be around £100 mark
geoffdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 18:40   #6
kwondo

Vehicle: Ford Maverick 2.7tdi gls

hi all, i am also running on svo "rapeseed" with a heat echanger, taken off the cooling system, been running for a month or two. usally put about 20 lts of diesel in the tank then fill with veg. seems ok at the moment but i am now concered about this link, i usualy change my engine oil every 5k, do you think this is adequate?

i put the veg into the main tank, as i have not worked out how to use the two tank system, as regards to a lift pump for the auxilary tank of diesel, it is suppost to switch over from diesel when the temp is high enough, and you can also flush the pipes with diesel before you stop/ shut downualy "veg tec" make

starts lumpy in the morning but within a few minutes runs fine, i also have changed my thermostat to an 88 degress one, so the coolant runs a bit hotter than the standard 80 degrees one,

regards Russell
kwondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 18:47   #7
zippy656

think we all need to do a bit of reading and some learning here...
Old 28-03-2011, 19:05   #8
geoffdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwondo View Post
hi all, i am also running on svo "rapeseed" with a heat echanger, taken off the cooling system, been running for a month or two. usally put about 20 lts of diesel in the tank then fill with veg. seems ok at the moment but i am now concered about this link, i usualy change my engine oil every 5k, do you think this is adequate?

i put the veg into the main tank, as i have not worked out how to use the two tank system, as regards to a lift pump for the auxilary tank of diesel, it is suppost to switch over from diesel when the temp is high enough, and you can also flush the pipes with diesel before you stop/ shut downualy "veg tec" make

starts lumpy in the morning but within a few minutes runs fine, i also have changed my thermostat to an 88 degress one, so the coolant runs a bit hotter than the standard 80 degrees one,

regards Russell
hi mate no lift pump needed for second tank which holds in mine 15l of diesel just an inline bulb primer which once primed you dont need to touch again unless u run the small tank dry. you can get it to change over auto but i like to do it by a 3 way switch as with this ring gumming happens when trying to start from cold but with twi tank will be starting on diesel when cold i will explan more later as got to take dog for walk
Old 28-03-2011, 20:13   #9
Deleted account DD

I think this was on a thread on here a year or so ago

Youll get seepage between areas all the time, diesel, SVO or petrol into engine oil or vice versa all of the time. Thats why most engines are designed to "use" a certain amount of oil (not quite as much as vauxhall claimed was normal for the zafira but hey that up to them).

I always change my oil around 5000 miles anyway so I guess suspicion of this supports that theory.

You can get fuel additives that claim to de gum if you reckon thats becoming a problem. I use millers anyway. Perhaps the 1/2 litre of 2 stroke per fill could help?

When i was running on 100% i had read about this problem (and others). Kept my eye on things there was no smell of svo from my oil, nor was there any discernible water in it .

Dont forget engines wear out anyway, all get different levels of ring gum as you would see taking even a newer engine to bits and youll get the symptoms described eventually anyway. On my old cav after a long run the engine oil stank of petrol

Once youre there you get the petrol washing the lube out so it wears quicker, lets more petrol through etc etc.
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 20:43   #10
kwondo

[QUOTE=geoffdown;143067]hi mate no lift pump needed for second tank which holds in mine 15l of diesel just an inline bulb primer which once primed you dont need to touch again unless u run the small tank dry. you can get it to change over auto but i like to do it by a 3 way switch as with this ring gumming happens when trying to start from cold but with twi tank will be starting on diesel when cold i will explan more later as got to take dog for walk[/QUOTE

hI Geoff, hope you enjoyed the walk, i have allready walked the family dog ! just to clarify where do you connect the auxillary tank in line, as i thought that it would not be sucked up by the injection system, rather than pumped from the lift pump in the tank, also is there a need to re route or reloop the flow of veg oil from the main tanks back to itself to release the build up of possible pressure from the lift pump ? while running on start up diesel? hope that makes some sort of sense?
cheers
Russell
Old 28-03-2011, 20:58   #11
geoffdown

[QUOTE=kwondo;143089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffdown View Post
hi mate no lift pump needed for second tank which holds in mine 15l of diesel just an inline bulb primer which once primed you dont need to touch again unless u run the small tank dry. you can get it to change over auto but i like to do it by a 3 way switch as with this ring gumming happens when trying to start from cold but with twi tank will be starting on diesel when cold i will explan more later as got to take dog for walk[/QUOTE

hI Geoff, hope you enjoyed the walk, i have allready walked the family dog ! just to clarify where do you connect the auxillary tank in line, as i thought that it would not be sucked up by the injection system, rather than pumped from the lift pump in the tank, also is there a need to re route or reloop the flow of veg oil from the main tanks back to itself to release the build up of possible pressure from the lift pump ? while running on start up diesel? hope that makes some sort of sense?
cheers
Russell
right ot good at putting words down so sorry but here goes with twin tank system the veg goes into the orginal tank diesel in the small tank in boot (my 15l tank from boat shop fits behind the 6/7th seat in the boot so dont lose any space and still fit 7 people in the terrano) you then need to get hold of 2 3way valves which link the system together if any1 wants more help please pm me ur mobile no. and i will be happy to talk on phone and tell u all about the twin tank set up in my terrano dont worry im not selling my own set up its i have just fitted the system to my truck so i no alot about it.
Old 28-03-2011, 21:02   #12
geoffdown

and the gumming does not happen in the engine oil it happens as the un atomised veg oil hit the cylinder walls when cold which will always happen in a single tank system but not in a twin tank system here is the info from the veg site about ring gumming

"Any unburned veggy or partially burned veggy hitting the cylinder-walls will find its way to the Piston-Ring grooves on the next upward stroke of the piston. This veggy will collect in the gap behind the rings and the small clearances either side of the ring and piston. As time heat and plenty of oxygen are available, it breaks down and sets solid, sticking the ring in its groove, so it can no longer follow the irregularities of the cylinder-wall and seal the piston, as it was intended"
Old 28-03-2011, 21:19   #13
zippy656

If this is happening is there any way to revers the gumming up??

i was reading else where water injected will help stop this and clean it out to.

or is twin tank the best way to go?

oh yea, PICS on the twin tank system please..
Old 28-03-2011, 21:28   #14
geoffdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy656 View Post
If this is happening is there any way to revers the gumming up??

i was reading else where water injected will help stop this and clean it out to.

or is twin tank the best way to go?

oh yea, PICS on the twin tank system please..
because i did motor engineering i would go for the twin tank set u back round £100 or so but be careful with ur heat exchanger as if its really good and heats the fuel up well dont run 100% diesel as the lubrecating of the diesel goes the hotter u heat it up not good for ur ip, the post u read was mostly about di engines like the 3.0l di terrano but can get it on idi as well but not as bad, thats y i went for the twin tank system in total took me 2 full days to install but i was also fault finding and air leak in my fuel system.
Old 28-03-2011, 21:30   #15
kwondo

hi geoff
i have the 2 solenoid system with a return loop connection,s just need to know where to plumb in the second tank, ie before the fuel filter or somehow direct at the main tank, would like to pm you my phone number for a chat or i could call you if convienant, just dont know how to pm?, tomorrow i will put some pics on if i can,