Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 30-03-2017, 09:56   #16
macabethiel
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Default Ford V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
Mine was normally aspirated, 5.4 V8 it was awesome but due to being low I struggled to get in and out, I was originally looking for a CL 55 AMG but due to the active suspension cost if it went wrong I was advised by my son who worked for MB to have the E55 W210 as it was as good but more cost friendly to keep and repair. If I'm honest out of all the cars I've owned the one I miss the most was my Dodge Ram pickup 5.7 V8 Hemi, I loved that truck
Back in the 1970's my boss at Burton on Trent had an Australian Ford Fairlane pick up a V8 5 litre or thereabouts. He used to move bales of hay for his horses with it! It was a bit back end happy but boy did it go and it was RHD ! It replaced his LHD Ford Gran Torino complete with the sidewinder stripe as in Starsky & Hutch. I often collected the Rice Twin Horse Box with the Torino from Chasewater Trotting Stadium to take his Pacers back home near Burton on Trent. The Torino was not particularly fast at the top end but back in the day at 1.00 am you could cruise along the A38 in the Torino pulling the loaded horse box at a cool 90 mph with no tail wag or effort just gently deceleration as you approached the roundabouts out of consideration for the horses. Happy days !
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 10:07   #17
macabethiel

Thumbs up W210 & w211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
Mine was normally aspirated, 5.4 V8 it was awesome but due to being low I struggled to get in and out, I was originally looking for a CL 55 AMG but due to the active suspension cost if it went wrong I was advised by my son who worked for MB to have the E55 W210 as it was as good but more cost friendly to keep and repair. If I'm honest out of all the cars I've owned the one I miss the most was my Dodge Ram pickup 5.7 V8 Hemi, I loved that truck
I think it was the W211 version that had the E55 turbo engine. I agree with your views on air suspension - very expensive to fix !
Old 30-03-2017, 10:43   #18
perelaar

Vehicle: Terrano II 2.7TDi SWB '97

Love driving my T2, although she is starting to show her age (1997, about to reach 200K miles). Performance and brakes are rubbish, no comfort at all, but then I'm spoiled with the daily driver.
That is a Seat Leon ST FR, with the 2.0 TDI. Sports suspension, nice wheels, fully equipped incl leather and satnav.

Next cars would probably be a Suzuki Jimny petrol to replace the T2 (within a few years I will not be able to drive a diesel to work anymore I think...) and the new 4wheel drive Seat Leon ST Cupra with 300bhp
perelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 11:31   #19
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by perelaar View Post
Love driving my T2, although she is starting to show her age (1997, about to reach 200K miles). Performance and brakes are rubbish, no comfort at all, but then I'm spoiled with the daily driver.
That is a Seat Leon ST FR, with the 2.0 TDI. Sports suspension, nice wheels, fully equipped incl leather and satnav.

Next cars would probably be a Suzuki Jimny petrol to replace the T2 (within a few years I will not be able to drive a diesel to work anymore I think...) and the new 4wheel drive Seat Leon ST Cupra with 300bhp
You are probably right about diesel cars being unwanted in the future. In the long term I fancy a Mercedes Ml or GLE as they now badge them.

I like the ML 500 & the ML 350 petrol and its not much thirstier than the diesel version in real world motoring. With a bit of luck by the time the Jeep comes up for replacement they might be building some nice 2 litre petrol engines in 4x4's with turbos or Kompressors etc
Old 30-03-2017, 13:10   #20
Jay666d

Vehicle: Patrol GU3 (Y61) 3.0 SVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
It's because they are all money grabbing cowbags and they know that you've spent all your money on the truck so there's none for them to siphon off so they pass on by
Sounds about right!
Jay666d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 19:05   #21
Wheelie

Vehicle: Nissan patrol 3.0 DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabethiel View Post
Back in the 1970's my boss at Burton on Trent had an Australian Ford Fairlane pick up a V8 5 litre or thereabouts. He used to move bales of hay for his horses with it! It was a bit back end happy but boy did it go and it was RHD ! It replaced his LHD Ford Gran Torino complete with the sidewinder stripe as in Starsky & Hutch. I often collected the Rice Twin Horse Box with the Torino from Chasewater Trotting Stadium to take his Pacers back home near Burton on Trent. The Torino was not particularly fast at the top end but back in the day at 1.00 am you could cruise along the A38 in the Torino pulling the loaded horse box at a cool 90 mph with no tail wag or effort just gently deceleration as you approached the roundabouts out of consideration for the horses. Happy days !
I would love to get another Dodge Ram at some point in the future.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 20:18   #22
jims-terrano

Just been out in my project truck, first time driving it for what feels like ages. It's great, love it to bits.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 21:52   #23
terranosaurusdoug

Vehicle: 2000 Terrano lwb 2.7TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Just been out in my project truck, first time driving it for what feels like ages. It's great, love it to bits.
I'm jealous
terranosaurusdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 22:03   #24
jims-terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranosaurusdoug View Post
I'm jealous
You'll get there pal
Old 30-03-2017, 22:31   #25
Barrbeast

Vehicle: 1990 4.2 SWB Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
It's because they are all money grabbing cowbags and they know that you've spent all your money on the truck so there's none for them to siphon off so they pass on by
Normally wouldn't join in with such a negative outlook but... I am currently still trying to get my credit card balance down after moving the last one on (Oz was great but expensive when you have to use all your own savings because someone can't be bothered to save anything herself - story of the whole relationship really )

Anyway! I love my Trols would drive the 4.2 everyday if I could but the astra is cheaper for doing 30 miles a day.

Get a smile every time I'm in the truck. Yeh the astra is faster but I love sitting up high and just how it feels to drive it. Feels like I can do anything if I have my truck.

Got to say that having had a manual box in the 3.0 and loved it I'm loving the Trol auto box mated with the 4.2 engine, works really well with the n/a engine and I can't wait to see what it's like when I turbo it down the line
Barrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 23:42   #26
Thomas-the-Terrano2

Vehicle: Terrano2 R20 lwb 2.7TDi

this 3.0 t2 is best of the 3 we've had, really goes well, though kinda wish was an auto.

our other car is a focus cmax 1.6 petrol. does drive well, feels so solid but boy is that
engine under powered for weight of car. really wish was a 1.8 or even 2.0 or ideally the
2.0td. Wish it was bigger in sense be great if both could tow caravan but thats my fault
for having a twin axle.

in side the cmax suspect its as roomy as the terrano in 5 seat mode, the sit up body gives
much more room than the hatchback, almost a mini estate.

other pity its isnt a 7 seater, been out in company pool car today a 15 plate zafire and that
was lovely too. that said was still great to get in t2 to come home and look down on most
other road users.

'60' 2010 Ford C Max Zetec 1.6i, black

'56' 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0TD, silver

2021 Bailey Pegasus Grade SE Turin caravan

Smile, its more likely to confuse.

One Life, Don't Just Live It, Drive a Nissan, or ...... a Jeep.

Owner of Nissan 4x4s 2005 to 2019, and maybe in the future too!
Thomas-the-Terrano2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 00:12   #27
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Guys this is a great thread well done Doug

If nobody has a problem with it I'm going to move this thread into the Testimonials section as these stories are great for potential new members

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:00   #28
stevew

Vehicle: maverick swb

there as been at least 1 maverick or terrano in our yard sinces i was 13 (20 years) my first car was a fiat uno my second car was my favourite ever car and i would swap to another in a heartbeat.a peugeot 504 4x4 dangel pickup, i loved that old truck it would go anywhere full time 4x4 with low box and air diff lock. unfortunately one of the front drive shafts exploded and i could not find a replacement with the internet now i could probably find one .
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 14:37   #29
jims-terrano

Of course, my dream is totally impractical but fantastic. A Metro 6R4
Old 31-03-2017, 15:16   #30
Lazy-Ferret

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDi SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Of course, my dream is totally impractical but fantastic. A Metro 6R4
Nice, you would drive that with a smile on your face... in fact just thinking about driving one and I have a smile on my face...
Lazy-Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote