Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 30-09-2016, 21:16   #1
zephyr
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: 2001 TerranoII SE+ 2.7Tdi
Cool Getting Terrano tomorrow....

Hey all, Zephyr here.

I'm getting 2001 TERRANO II SE+ TDi (Blue, supposedly about 68K miles) tomorrow from the dealer (yay!) - as I'm not an expert on mechanic, I just had a feeling that I had to get this, though I'm a bit concern that I didn't check the car enough. I saw a bit of rust underneath of the car and also above wheel arch before the bonnet on both side. I have researched a bit and decided to maintain/remove these rusts to make it look better, to put 5% tinted film on all rears (if I didn't have any trouble withe car in the first place).

So I'll pick it up tomorrow paying the rest of money, then take it straight to the garage to get MOT done even though it'll be December for next one. The reason being I'm a little bit suspicious on MOT history as there wasn't any advisory or failure since 2009....even Nissan/Terrano?? My guess is that the garage previous owner might have been using his friend and let it through - but then it's actually making the driver's safety quite meaningless, so hoping it'll turn out to be a good hit.

I saw someone got a dodgy car elsewhere but determined to get authorities to penalise the dealer. I'm also hoping that I won't be in the situation like that!

Anyway happy to be an owner of Terrano and wanted to say hello to all. Although it's a bit of truck, I felt it's comfortable in a spacious cabin to drive and I liked the way I can look down others, he he. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers!

Zephyr
zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 21:34   #2
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Welcome, you'll find plenty of helpful and friendly people here.
Here's to many years of Terrano driving, they are the most awesome of cars. So much so hat I sleep in mine from time to time.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes along asking for pics soon.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 22:34   #3
solarman216
Off road maniac

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol Me, 3 ltr Mrs

Hi and welcome, you will love the drive position on a T2, after around 2000 they cheapened them down a bit, so other problems arise not just rust, but lets see what your MOT says of it, Rick
3 inch SS straight through exhaust
Manly winch bumper with 13000 lb winch
10 spike ground anchor, with multiple straps and blocks
Super strong body cills capped with scaffold pole
20% stronger springs all round
aggressive off road tyres on wheels so just swap.
Aim to get stuck and be completely self sufficient in extraction, love getting muddy, 2ft deep is good but rare.
solarman216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 22:47   #4
jims-terrano

Welcome aboard and you've defo come to the right place for all things Terrano. Assuming yours is the 2.7? There is a 3.0 too both are great lumps just different. My personal choice is the 2.7 which is the same engine fitted to the older london cabs, no timing belts or chains to worry about.
Doubt an MOT would come up with any fault that hasn't been covered on here.

Get it serviced along with transmission oils, the rear diff is fussy about the type of oil and chances are previous owner would have not had this replaced.

So after the MOT let us know what if anything it has thrown up, get some pics posted including the rust you mentioned too.

Had mine since 2002 and ended up with another that I bought for parts and ended up repairing, see my project thread in my signature.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 18:05   #5
zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims-terrano View Post
Assuming yours is the 2.7?
Yes, it is. I've also heard that these engines were same as Black Cabs - great!
Old 30-09-2016, 23:30   #6
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Hi Mate

Welcome along I can tell you are going to fit in here just fine

Post some pictures of it when you have it, 68k isn't bad at all, not even run in yet I'd say, if you want some inspiration for mods, click the link for my project thread in my signiture below, it started standard and got out of hand

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:44   #7
Blocky10

Vehicle: 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE Auto

Hello and welcome. 3ltr's rule. That is all
Blocky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 15:40   #8
zephyr

Thank you very much, Simon, Rick, Jim, Banshee, Ian, for warm welcomes.

So I went this dealer and paid rest of money to get a car. (The guy turned up for 30 minutes late which I had to wait outside when it's raining) Initially I was still hoping past MOTs were correct without any issue - it turned out there are certain things that need to be replaced. I brought Terrano to my known garage and they checked most of the part.

What they told me was that it won't get through MOT in December if I didn't do anything. Some of the part was ball joints (classic!), some rubber parts under wheel, also they told me the shaft might need to be replaced but in the mean time it's ok for me to drive (!) until December under this condition. Okay, if they say. Also side panels (left/right of bonnet) are rusty - rust is eating up edges! so they said they can replace (trying to find out cheaper parts from elsewhere). But overall it wasn't too bad, wasn't my worst case scenario. Phew!

Driving wise, I like the height, sound of engine, feeling a bit of nostalgia as this car is more like a proper man without much digital tools

Oh the one thing - it made three beeps and keeps doing it for a while. It did some point, but earlier when I drove it didn't. There is no warning light on the dash, I googled and found some are saying it might be a seatbelt or door not being shut properly, or lower battery. Does anyone know what this three beep means?

Old 01-10-2016, 16:25   #9
jims-terrano

Smart looking truck

So beeps, mine has some beeps when battery has been disconnected but after the first engine run and then stop lock the doors it is all ok. So does it have some kind of gadgets like sat nav, dash cams or even a non standard alarm.

Lets see the pictures of the rusty panels. I can't imagine being able to buy brand new replacement panels either nissan and after market. Normally repair panels are steel plate cut and bent into shape.
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 18:37   #10
Banshee

Vehicle: 04 2.7 SWB Terrano II Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehyr View Post
Thank you very much, Simon, Rick, Jim, Banshee, Ian, for warm welcomes.

So I went this dealer and paid rest of money to get a car. (The guy turned up for 30 minutes late which I had to wait outside when it's raining) Initially I was still hoping past MOTs were correct without any issue - it turned out there are certain things that need to be replaced. I brought Terrano to my known garage and they checked most of the part.

What they told me was that it won't get through MOT in December if I didn't do anything. Some of the part was ball joints (classic!), some rubber parts under wheel, also they told me the shaft might need to be replaced but in the mean time it's ok for me to drive (!) until December under this condition. Okay, if they say. Also side panels (left/right of bonnet) are rusty - rust is eating up edges! so they said they can replace (trying to find out cheaper parts from elsewhere). But overall it wasn't too bad, wasn't my worst case scenario. Phew!

Driving wise, I like the height, sound of engine, feeling a bit of nostalgia as this car is more like a proper man without much digital tools

Oh the one thing - it made three beeps and keeps doing it for a while. It did some point, but earlier when I drove it didn't. There is no warning light on the dash, I googled and found some are saying it might be a seatbelt or door not being shut properly, or lower battery. Does anyone know what this three beep means?

Nice base mate, you'll soon learn not to trust anyone else with these cars now you've found us

Terrano wings will do what Terrano wings will do, that's one of the most common problems dude, replacments are rare and expensive because of this, you'll find a set if you look long enough but as said most on here that have had this issue have removed, patched, repaired and re-sprayed

I presume your guy meant the rubber CV boot on the front driveshaft? What was wrong with the actual shaft? Not sure how your guy could have properly looked at/tested it without actually putting it into 4WD and having a play.

Next time you hear the beeps, record it on your phone, report back and I'll find a way of getting it off you so I can have a listen, probably something trivial, on my Maverick I got 3 beeps when I shut it off and that was the Sony headunit

04' Terrano II SE 2.7 TDi SWB Commercial in Silver - Project Thread
Toyo Open Country M/T 33's on 10J Steels, Super Strong Steering Job
Navara D22 Snorkel, Front LOKKA, Maunal Hubs, EGR Blank
TunitII ECU Chip, 3" Body Lift, 2" Suss Lift, Heat Exchanger
Black Interior, 3.0 Borg&Beck Clutch, Eckes Heated Fuel Filter

99' Y61 Patrol GR SE 2.8 TD6 LWB in Blue/Silver - Project Thread
Engine Transplant - In Progress!!!
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote