Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 17-09-2016, 17:03   #1
PaPaJ0
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano li 2.7 TDi
Default Another newbie

Hi all,
I bought my first Terrano last week (2003 Terrano li S 2.7TDi), hopefully the start of a beautiful relationship...
It didn't start without a hitch or 2 tho.
All went well on the trip back from buying it.. (48 miles including all types of road, and it loved it). Took the family a ride out in the evening and it was still fine.
Sunday night turned out to be much cooler than previously, so got in on Monday morning for the trip to work and it wouldn't go into any gear. Fortunately I still had my little Mitsubishi Colt legal so took that. I got back from work to have a look (am no mechanic so was dreading the diagnosis) and it dropped into gear straight away, but the tacho and fuel gauge sat stubbornly at 0. By this time I am totally confused, so ignored it til Tuesday, when I had instrument panel (after a quick tap) but no gears again.
When I returned from work Thursday evening I decided to try and figure things out a bit more. I got into the driver's seat and suddenly realised that the clutch pedal felt further away. I checked if I could find a gear, but no luck, until I put my foot under the pedal and physically lifted it up....I could feel the pressure rising, and sure enough, the clutch worked fine after that (I have today noticed a couple of people mentioning a sticky pedal while browsing through the threads here).
Since the discovery of this little quirk and the random "fix" I have already started to fully enjoy the car and am now ready to start fixing the issues I know about, and am capable of although I am pretty confident of needing to ask for advice on here
PaPaJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 18:21   #2
Monaro Pete

Vehicle: 03 Terrano 2.7 TDi

How do & welcome

There's a multitude of knowledge on here.

Your best bet is to pay your tenner & there is so much more info in the downloads to be had

One more thing before Zippy gets in.

PICS
Monaro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 18:59   #3
jims-terrano

Welcome aboard, yeah ive had the clutch problem. Been a paid member here for years and saved loads plus a load of banter.

Anyhoo check your clutch fluid level.

Underneather the car on the side of the gearbox there is a slave cylinder. Check this for leaks.
Attached to the slave cyliner is a flexi hose, again check for leaks. Get someone to press the pedal and look at the hose as it may swell. Keep fingers well away.

Some trucks had a damper pipe coming off the block on the end of the flexi hose, this goes from the flexi to just above the rear axle. Check for leaks, some people do away with this damper pipe. It also has a bleed nipple on the end of it above the rear axle.

Now if these ideas help with a fix membership may well prove handy

Good luck and enjoy the truck, theyre great!
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 21:55   #4
PaPaJ0

Vehicle: Terrano li 2.7 TDi

Thank you both for the welcome. Having browsed a few areas of the site now I think the money would be well spent...just have to squirrel it a bit :P as my wallet is still screaming from buying the truck in the first place.
Thanks also for the clutch tips, although I rather prefer the idea of depressing the pedal myself while someone else lies underneath waiting for the drip to hit them
Including a couple pf pics from the advert I saw for it (the background is far superior to where it lives now). The car previously lived in Nottingham so it is possible a few of you have seen it before. Been quite a while since I uploaded pics for a BB, so this may go wrong

PaPaJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 22:17   #5
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

Welcome, they are damned fine looking motors.
Don't forget that you'll get Briggies jokes for free if you pay the tenner.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 22:24   #6
jims-terrano

Gooooooooood looking truck
jims-terrano is offline   Reply With Quote