Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > I'm new here, please be gentle

I'm new here, please be gentle This is where you can "introduce yourself". A chance for you as a new member to say hello and for you to tell us about yourselves, your truck and your other interests.

Old 28-10-2013, 11:50   #1
Matt-gripped-sorted
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano
Default Newbie looking to buy first 4x4

Hi all , after scouring the tinterweb for a cheap 1st time 4x4 I came across the terrano/maverick ,I've only read good things about them looking to spend between £1400-2000 so before I start trekking around the country looking at them where better to start than here asking you lovely owners what to look for and what are the actually like off road?. I'm looking to get a 5dr 2.7td.

Cheers Matt.
Matt-gripped-sorted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 16:02   #2
clivvy

Vehicle: Terrano 03 LWB

hi Matt,

the Terrano is a great motor, but im biased. For your budget you should get something decent. I got a "new" one just three weeks ago, 2003/03 plate 5 door with 105k miles. I had a SWB Maverick previously, I bought it with a lot of problems but fixed it up and generally it was very reliable but the rot became too much.

Anyway, as an example of what I got recently for £1500, its a Terrano 5 door, no tow bar, no sunroof but has aircon (needs fixing/gassing). Cloth interior but smelly (dogs) and the car is listed as two previous owners, though I think the first owner is the garage that sold it because the recent owner had it from July 03.

what to look for. SILLS. Front, middle and rear, check what you can see, and check what you cant see - i.e. get your hand around that sill front and back. Look for rust, if exterior rusting, then its almost certain the inner sill is rusting as well but its no disaster just use it as a bargaining chip.

Check the rear inner wheel arch seat belt mounting points - you can see them because its a big bolt - any rust at all and its an MOT failure for sure and requires welding.

get in the back of the car, pull the rear seats forward and lift the carpet as far back as you can - look for rust.

Check starting, should start more or less first turn of key, you might get a puff of black smoke, this is OK but no more, listen to the engine, should sound like a sewing machine, almost literally, when at idle.

check all electrics - ensure both side mirrors work on the controller, check all windows if electric work and work at a good speed. check the NATs/remote fob. If no fob, is it central locking? if it is, an dyou open the door and the lights start flashing, then the alarm has been disconnected, probably because the fob has failed. new fobs are expensive but you can get used ones form ebay very cheap and program them to your car very easily - again, bargaining chip as its upwards £100 from the dealer to fix, then you have to reconnect your alarm siren, which means taking the drivers side rear plastic panel off.

check for oil leaks, especially the sump, if you climb under the car (and you should) lok at the gearbox, then the cross member, above that is a big black/brown thing that's the sump, make sure its not leaking (bring a torch). While you are there, look to the right (drivers side) you will see the fuel lines and brake pipes, ensure the fuel lines are either rubber, or not corroded, and ensure the brake lines are not corroded from there back.

When driving, listen for whines and groans from the gears, car should have plenty of grunt and power and shouldn't feel sluggish and if upon hard acceleration you can see plumes of black smoke, blue smoke or white smoke, check it out.

Clutch should be light, and if it is slipping, you will find out when test driving, say in third gear and putting it under load, the revs will go up, but the car wont move any quicker - if slipping, its approx. £450 for a new one.

Check that handbrake, should hold well on a hill, and just a few clicks. If the handbrake cables are sticking, its around £40 each side plus approx. £30 for the middle cable.

check air filter is clean, check all fluids as you would any car. on test drive, it will take at least 10 ins for the temp gauge to start moving, but it should ideally reach nearly half way, and you should have hot air on all settings, and cold air when the heating is turned off.

Generally these cars don't have too many problems, its the rot that's the issue, so don't forget the sills, both front wheel arches, the rear bumper mounting and body work behind the rear bumper. Check the chassis mounting point and front cross member through the front wheel arches (peel back the rubber lining) you can see the huge mounting bracket and it should be rock solid. Check the outer sills under the plastic sill plates, if rusty you will see a bit of rust poking out from under the sill protector, remove the protector and it will be much worse plus water gets into the inner sill via the clip holes too. Check the door corners - open both front door and peer into the crevice at the bottom - all the water drains from the top through there, if its blocked with mud and crap, the water is then leaking into the sill and rusting away - this needs to be cleaned out, especially if the car has a sunroof.

four wheel drive, difficult to test, ensure it engages for a start, but don't drive the car in 4x4 on tarmac - find somewhere slippy.

anyway, I have rattled on enough!! good luck!
clivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:23   #3
Matt-gripped-sorted

Smile

Cheers ,that's all the info I need arming with in one epic reply,should I go out and buy a lemon you have my permission to run me over with it,hoping to see my first one on Wednesday .
Old 28-10-2013, 18:34   #4
clivvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-gripped-sorted View Post
Cheers ,that's all the info I need arming with in one epic reply,should I go out and buy a lemon you have my permission to run me over with it,hoping to see my first one on Wednesday .
no problem. remember, be picky - there are plenty around even at that budget. I never expected to get an 03 plate for £1500, and ok I am more than prepared to fix up little issues which mine came with but despite them was still a bargain..actually, a member on here is selling one soon, not sure of his price but ill try find his name...
Old 28-10-2013, 18:37   #5
clivvy

ah yes, its Mr Tickle, be worth sending him a PM if you can
Old 28-10-2013, 19:00   #6
AD Ent

Vehicle: Terrano II SE+ 2.7 2000

Mt Tickle's is the one to buy, No need to go hunting round for one.
AD Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 19:03   #7
Matt-gripped-sorted

Nice one ,I'll sign up properly tomorrow morning when I get in from work ,body work wise in not bothered as its solid as I'll be painting it olive drab to coincide with my hobby (Airsoft).