Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 18-02-2017, 19:07   #1
don simon
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: Terrano ii
Default Cheap & cheerful battery charger?

Any recommendations for a cheap and cheerful battery charger for the beast that I can get tomorrow from the likes of Machine Mart/Halfrauds/Argos or the like.
Thanks.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 15:18   #2
macabethiel

Vehicle: Freelander & Jeep GC 3.0
Thumbs up Try the Aldi one great value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don simon View Post
Any recommendations for a cheap and cheerful battery charger for the beast that I can get tomorrow from the likes of Machine Mart/Halfrauds/Argos or the like.
Thanks.
Trouble with most battery chargers sold in most shops today is they will not charge a completely flat battery. Sounds crazy but it's true.

Although I bit the bullet and bought a C-Tek I also have a much cheaper and very similar one that I bought from Aldi for around £15.

It's a battery conditioner "Ultimate Speed" ULG 3.8 they have them fairly regularly.

Sorry the picture is upside down but it has modes for 6 or 12 volt and includes a step display so you know what it's doing. I had a much earlier version of this charger about 8 years ago and after 3 years the mode switch went faulty. Bought my current one about a year ago it clearly has a better mode switch action.

At a fifth of the price of a C-Tek seems a good buy even if it fails after 5 years !

If Aldi are sold out I guess e-bay should have them.
macabethiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 16:00   #3
don simon

Vehicle: Terrano ii

I picked one up from Machine Mart this morning.
But there's definitely something drawing from the battery since I had the dash out.
don simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 16:11   #4
rustic

Vehicle: Maverick Mk I 2.7 TD LWB

I agree with modern battery chargers especially those with multi stage charging, not starting to charge a fully flat battery, they need to see a minimum voltage across the terminals, say 10 volts, so an old conventional transformer and rectifier type with no control can sometimes get the voltage up for the multistage to replace it.

If you are just maintaining a battery for keeping a full charge then the Aldi one is ideal, 3-4 amps max, and can be left on 24/7

BUT if you are having to charge a battery that is getting below half charge then you need something that can give a minimum of 10 amps.

So I have several, a conventional transformer rectifier type, but it needs constant checking as it can cause gassing as there is no regulation. A ring 8amp multi stage charger with a de sulphate mode and float charge, all automatic.
I also have an Aldi type, for maintaining a charge over a long time, and also a starter charger type, that can plug into the mains and even start the Mav after a few minutes.

There is no perfect one stop shop for battery chargers, so it's a compromise.
A cheap non regulated one from Halfords will charge a flat battery overnight, but you would not want to leave it on too long.

Hope it helps,
Uncle Rustic
rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 16:38   #5
macabethiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic View Post
I agree with modern battery chargers especially those with multi stage charging, not starting to charge a fully flat battery, they need to see a minimum voltage across the terminals, say 10 volts, so an old conventional transformer and rectifier type with no control can sometimes get the voltage up for the multistage to replace it.

If you are just maintaining a battery for keeping a full charge then the Aldi one is ideal, 3-4 amps max, and can be left on 24/7

BUT if you are having to charge a battery that is getting below half charge then you need something that can give a minimum of 10 amps.

So I have several, a conventional transformer rectifier type, but it needs constant checking as it can cause gassing as there is no regulation. A ring 8amp multi stage charger with a de sulphate mode and float charge, all automatic.
I also have an Aldi type, for maintaining a charge over a long time, and also a starter charger type, that can plug into the mains and even start the Mav after a few minutes.

There is no perfect one stop shop for battery chargers, so it's a compromise.
A cheap non regulated one from Halfords will charge a flat battery overnight, but you would not want to leave it on too long.

Hope it helps,
Uncle Rustic
The C-Tek range state they will charge from flat and most models will not put out anything like 10 amps! I thought it was the higher voltage you needed to push charge into a flat battery not higher current.

But then again it's all a bit of a mystery is electronics. When I specifically asked about the cheap Halfords ones they opened a box and it said in the instructions not suitable for a flat battery ! At that time they did not sell the C-Tek type. Am going back about 10 years ago.
Old 19-02-2017, 18:44   #6
johnb5177

Vehicle: 02Terrano II 3.0 SVE Auto

I use a CTek model for the bike.

Having had battery failures in the past, Tayna who provided it are so help ful...but CTeks do not charge from flat...they need over 2.5v before the battery registers.

I was told to connect a spare battery (via jump leads) to the flat one, to bring the voltage up.

After a while the CTek reads the battery and will charge it (having removed the spare and jump leads)...this has worked twice for me.
johnb5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 19:26   #7
emjaybee

Vehicle: 3.0Di SVE '05 5 door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb5177 View Post

Having had battery failures in the past, Tayna who provided it are so help ful...but CTeks do not charge from flat...they need over 2.5v before the battery registers.

I was told to connect a spare battery (via jump leads) to the flat one, to bring the voltage up.

After a while the CTek reads the battery and will charge it (having removed the spare and jump leads)...this has worked twice for me.
Now that's a useful tip. Now filed away for future reference.

emjaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 22:06   #8
macabethiel

Thumbs up The second battery trick !

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb5177 View Post

That's a neat idea I did it once eons ago but had forgotten how.

Nice one!