Go Back   :::.Nissan 4x4 Owners Club.::: > General > The Clubs Virtual Pub

The Clubs Virtual Pub For general chat, so come on in and pull up a chair.

Old 28-10-2010, 20:37   #1
tezzer
Click here to find out how to become a paid up member

Vehicle: transit camper van 1987
Default SCHOOL -- 1970 vs. 2010

Scenario:
Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1970 - Crowd gathers. Johnny wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best mates for life.

2010 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark.. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Mark started it. Both children go to anger management programs for 3 months. School board hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programs

Scenario:
Robbie won't Keep still in class, disrupts other students.

1970 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Headmaster. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2010 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and School gets extra funding from state because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1970 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

20010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Government psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario :
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1970 - Mark gets glass of water from Teacher to take aspirin with.

2010 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario :
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from Guy Fawkes, puts them in a model air-fix paint bottle, blows up an ant’s nest.

1970 - Ants die.

2010- Police, Armed Forces, & Anti-terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, MI5 investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario :
Johnny falls while running during break and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary . Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1970 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

This should be sent to every e-mail address to show how stupid we have become!

Think about it!
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 20:52   #2
The Patrolman

Vehicle: Y60 Patrol 4.2 PeTroll

Sad but true!!

It's all the fault of the namby pamby do good, lets have a multi cultural society, liberals!!

And now the feckers are back in power, where will we be in 2040??
The Patrolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 21:51   #3
lacroupade

I wouldn't know Terry, I was working in 1970
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 22:37   #4
makeitfit

Vehicle: Maverick TDi BLACK mmm

Terry, I love you

I remember rearranging fireworks, but it wasn't an ants nest, it was my dad's wall and yes I did get a right royal belt
Didn't learn though as I blew my eyebrows off during an airfix experiment
Petrol and firework powder really go up well
makeitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 22:47   #5
lacroupade

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post
Terry, I love you

I remember rearranging fireworks, but it wasn't an ants nest, it was my dad's wall and yes I did get a right royal belt
Didn't learn though as I blew my eyebrows off during an airfix experiment
Petrol and firework powder really go up well
we had a psycho mate who had some substance or other that he used to stick into those holes you got in concrete fence posts - and blew the top clean off....but then he also thought it was entertaining to wire his mum's metal washing line up to the mains.....

I wonder what happened to him.....
lacroupade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 23:05   #6
tezzer

Vehicle: transit camper van 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroupade View Post
we had a psycho mate who had some substance or other that he used to stick into those holes you got in concrete fence posts - and blew the top clean off....but then he also thought it was entertaining to wire his mum's metal washing line up to the mains.....

I wonder what happened to him.....
wired the washing line to mains, he's probably dead by now then

i remember a guy at school experimenting with weed killer and sugar
filled a flask and set it off in the outside bogs, blew 2 pans, all the partitions and windows out, can you imagine what would happen now, school would be closed for a week, he would be accused of terrorism, his next stunt was 45 gallon of red diesel blew it to pieces and it happened to be bonfire night, police arrived an hour later, (no change there then) had a look round and cleared off, what would happen now, it would be all over the papers, another terrorist attack,
tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:27   #7
Deleted account DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post

Lmao.

Man after my own heart. I recall mid to late 70s modifying fireworks, burying them in one of our local parks and once we'd sorted out fuse/detonation problems, enjoying a bit of mini quarrying

It wasn't until years later I realised we'd actually without realising it been developing shaped charges oops...........definite anti terrorism stuff these days lmao

I also recall the chemistry teacher saying don't heat acetone in the test tube. Sure did hurt when the head explained to me and my mate once the ceiling tiles had stopped burning that it really wasn't a good idea .
Deleted account DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:32   #8
briggie

Vehicle: " alice "

i remember ( along with some of my dormitary mates ) , deciding to experiment with fireworks ... we decided to strap a pack of 12 bangers together , wrap them tightly in tin foil , and drop them down a cast iron drain pipe at boarding school ...... wow!!! what a racket it made !!! , it behaved like a cannon , needless to say all 5 of us where " invited to attend the headmasters office" at 9am
briggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:11   #9
Muckypup

Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0

I was one of the last who saw the good days! I went to primary school in the 80s and secondry school early 90s. I remember the days of the 80s before all the PC crew kicked off and health and safety. Then came the early 90s and Labour government... I watched all the rules change around school and our way of life as a youngster change dramatically. One example - 1st, 2nd & 3rd year secondry school we were allowed to the shop accross the road from our school at break and dinner for crisps drinks magazines etc. Then came 1994, all the rules changed and 4th & 5th year we were not trusted to go to the shop or chippy at lunch! Confined to within the school railings unless a parent came and collected us. You can imagine we were not happy and a lot got into trouble for leaving...

Also I remember well when the word "racist" was invented...

Another one, first couple of years we could ride to school on our bikes, around the same time 93/94 it got banned. The school said they did not want to be responsible for any bike being stolen or anyone injured on route to school or home.

I really feel for the kids of today!
Muckypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:36   #10
alan

Vehicle: Patrol GR II 2.8 TD

I was speaking to a cabbie the other day, he was telling me he'd chatted to a primary school teacher, whos primary 1 and 2 classes didnt know what a CD was?!!

Anyway, heres something I had on my facebook:

Quote:
1. Teaching Maths In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of timber for £100.
His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
What is his profit?

2. Teaching Maths In 1980
His cost of production is 80% of the price.
What is his profit?

3. Teaching Maths In 1990
His cost of production is £80.
How much was his profit?

4. Teaching Maths In 2000
His cost of production is £80 and his profit is £20.
Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Maths In 2005
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habit of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. Your assignment: Discuss how the birds and squirrels might feel as the logger cut down their homes just for a measly profit of £20.

6. Teaching Maths In 2009
A logger is arrested for trying to cut down a tree in case it may be offensive to religious groups not consulted in the felling licence. He is also fined a £100 as his chainsaw is in breach of Health and Safety legislation as it deemed too dangerous and could cut something. He has used the chainsaw for over 20 years without incident however he does not have the correct certificate of competence and is therefore considered to be a recidivist and habitual criminal. His DNA is sampled and his details circulated throughout all government agencies. He protests and is taken to court and fined another £100 because he is such an easy target. When he is released he returns to find Gypsies have cut down half his wood to build a camp on his land. He tries to throw them off but is arrested, prosecuted for harassing an ethnic minority, imprisoned and fined a further £100. While he is in jail the Gypsies cut down the rest of his wood and sell it on the black market for £100 cash. They also have a leaving BBQ of squirrel and pheasant, and depart leaving behind several tonnes of rubbish and asbestos sheeting. The forester on release is warned that failure to clear the fly tipped rubbish immediately at his own cost is an offence. He complains and is arrested for environmental pollution, breach of the peace and invoiced £12,000 plus VAT for safe disposal costs by a regulated government contractor.

Your assignment: How many times is the logger going to have to be arrested and fined before he realises that he is never going to make £20 profit by hard work, give up, sign onto the dole and live off the state for the rest of his life?

7. Teaching Maths In 2010
A logger doesn’t sell a lorry load of timber because he can’t get a loan to buy a new lorry because his bank has spent all his and their money on a derivative of securitised debt related to sub- prime mortgages in Alabama and lost the lot with only some government money left to pay a few million pound bonuses to their senior directors and the traders who made the biggest losses.

The logger struggles to pay the £1,200 road tax on his old lorry however, as it was built in the 1970s it no longer meets the emissions regulations and he is forced to scrap it.

Some Bulgarian loggers buy the lorry from the scrap merchant and put it back on the road. They undercut everyone on price for haulage and send their cash back home, while claiming unemployment for themselves and their relatives. If questioned they speak no English and it is easier to deport them at the governments expense. Following their holiday back home they return to the UK with different names and fresh girls and start again. The logger protests, is accused of being a bigoted racist and as his name is on the side of his old lorry he is forced to pay £1,500 registration fees as a gang master.

The Government borrows more money to pay more to the bankers as bonus's are not cheap. The parliamentarians feel they are missing out and claim the difference on expenses and allowances.
You do the maths.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:46   #11
danielj

Vehicle: Terrano 2.7TDI 03 LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckypup View Post
I was one of the last who saw the good days! I went to primary school in the 80s and secondry school early 90s. I remember the days of the 80s before all the PC crew kicked off and health and safety. Then came the early 90s and Labour government... I watched all the rules change around school and our way of life as a youngster change dramatically. One example - 1st, 2nd & 3rd year secondry school we were allowed to the shop accross the road from our school at break and dinner for crisps drinks magazines etc. Then came 1994, all the rules changed and 4th & 5th year we were not trusted to go to the shop or chippy at lunch! Confined to within the school railings unless a parent came and collected us. You can imagine we were not happy and a lot got into trouble for leaving...

Also I remember well when the word "racist" was invented...

Another one, first couple of years we could ride to school on our bikes, around the same time 93/94 it got banned. The school said they did not want to be responsible for any bike being stolen or anyone injured on route to school or home.

I really feel for the kids of today!
I must be ancient! Second level school in the 80's and we could wander around the town at lunch time. In my final year I used to drive a motorbike to school and park it out the front with the teachers cars (the days I turned up that is) because I kept missing the school bus. Didn't even have a uniform. Corporeal punishment (the leather) only went out of use in the second or third year I was there. Strange days indeed but to be honest they school was fair enough considering the difficult student I must have been. (Mind you I didn't set roof tiles alight in the Lab or rewire the lights with tin-foil though)
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 12:23   #12
Muckypup

Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0

There were a few good teachers tho, the ones who had been around forever and needed to retire they were old-school and still had old school values. I remember Mr Lonsdale our eccentric maths teacher, two lads had a problem he'd drag us both out into the west wing and tell us to scrap it out and have done with the problem. Most of the time we just stood there like lemons, so then came the dettention for disrupting his class and not being man enough to sort our differences

He'd be sacked and dragged through court in an instant now
Muckypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 13:08   #13
Liam

I don't feel sorry for the kids of today, only feel sorry that so many of them have wimpy parents who allow this bullshit to go on in their schools and do nothing about it. No point muttering among themselves about how their kids don't have the freedom they had,should just get off their backsides and send the kids to schools who still allow a little freedom or build one themselves if they can't find one. Remember,home schooling is also an option, then the kids can be taught the values the parents want not what is imposed on them.

It should be easier to home school now,with so many people sitting at home unemployed.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote